Left Coast Press 6th Anniversary Sale!

  • Caryn M. Berg
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2011
      Left Coast's birthday is March 16, sandwiched between the Ides of March and
      St. Patrick's Day. Every car dealership and electronics store will be having
      a St. Patrick's Day sale, so we're going the other way. Welcome to the "Left
      Coast Ides of March Sale" honoring our sixth birthday. Until March 20, you
      can purchase any Left Coast book from our website
      <http://lcoastpress.com/index.php> via our US distributor at a 30%
      discount.

      Increase your discount! Win a free book!

      To sweeten the celebration we'll offer this: improve on Caesar's last words
      and we'll improve your discount. The Ides of March were made notorious by
      the assassination of Julius Caesar in 44 BC. According to the noted classics
      scholar, William Shakespeare, his last words were "Et tu Brute! Then fall
      Caesar!" Very dull. Certainly one of the wittiest Romans could have
      extemporized a better last line than that. According to some classical
      writers, he did: "Why, this is violence!" (Suetonius) or "Accursed Casca,
      what does thou?" (Plutarch). This still leaves plenty of room for
      improvement.

      So, Left Coast readers, here is your challenge. Come up with better "last
      words of Julius Caesar" than the classical historians and Elizabethan
      dramatists have reported. Send it to us by March 18 and we'll send a secret
      code that gives you an additional 10% discount. Remember, it needs to be
      short--after all, he had 23 stab wounds by the time he fell. And, though
      Caesar probably declaimed in Greek or Latin, please submit your entries in
      English. The top three responses will WIN A FREE Left Coast paperback of
      your choice.

      How it Works

      1. All Left Coast books are on sale at a 30% discount between NOW and
      March 20, 2011.

      2. Books must be ordered directly from our website
      <http://lcoastpress.com/index.php> and through our US distributor (U
      Chicago Press) and must include the discount code: L1011. In the shopping
      cart, insert the code and hit "update" to get the correct price.

      3. Give us your nomination for "the last words of Julius Caesar" to
      increase your discount. Submit it via email to Explore@... on or
      before March 18 and we will send you a different, secret, yes secret, code
      that will allow you to purchase any Left Coast books at a 40% discount until
      March 20, 2011.

      4. The three best "last words of Caesar" entries will receive a FREE
      Left Coast paperback of your choice. The winning entries (and any others
      that aren't obscene or libelous) will be posted on our Facebook
      <http://www.facebook.com/LeftCoastPress> page. Judging this competition
      will be our crack team of Left Coast classicists, none of whom ever took
      Latin in school.

      Here is our attempt at improving on Caesar:

      "There goes my chance of winning Survivor: Rome!"

      Let's see what you can do.

      A heartfelt thanks to all of you.

      Mitch Allen <mailto:mitch@...> , Publisher

      Caryn M. Berg, Ph.D.