Etymology of Hanigalbat

  • Miguel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2011
      Dear colleagues,

      Might anyone have seen in the literature any proposals on the etymology of the GN Hanigalbat? Any help would be most welcome.

      Thanks very much in advance,
      Miguel Valério

      Graduate student of Archaeology
      New University of Lisbon
    • Stephen Goranson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2011
        I have no opinion on the matter, but here's what Albright wrote (American journal of philology, 43 p.167):

        http://books.google.com/books?id=lVNtl9C1uHcC&pg=PA167&dq=Haligalbat&hl=en&ei=5PZ1TYOHI4z4gAfnhJy8BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Haligalbat&f=false

        or

        http://tinyurl.com/472hqry

        Stephen Goranson
        http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2011
          Dear all,

          My research on the etymology of Hanigalbat, for which so far I have not been able to find any detailed proposal, has led me to another question.
          Ha-ni-gal-bat or Ha-ni-kal-bat was formerly read Ha-ni-rab-at. The cuneiform sign in question is sign nr. 117 (according to the table in Huehnergard 2005), with the phonetic readings of gal, qal or kal and the logographic value of GAL = rabûm.
          I am currently away from a good library, but a search on the Internet suggests that somewhere between 1904 and 1922 the older reading was abandoned for the one which is consensual now. In 1930, Speiser states in a footnote to his «Mesopotamian origins»:

          «That the name was Hanigalbat and not Hanirabbat (which Smith, EHA, 210 considers a possibility) is proved by the writing (mât)Ha-ni-kal-bat in the Amarna Letters (Knudtzon, 255.10), and by the form (mât) Ha-ni-kal-Bat, HSS, V. 63.3.»

          Might anyone know when and by whose work this shift in reading occurred and why «rab» is not considered a possible phonetic reading anymore?