Re: Hittite symbols at Yazilikaya

  • Phoenix
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2011
      These are the two chief gods of the Hittites, also gods of the Hurrians.

      Teshub carries his mace/scepter/thunderbolt in his right arm, and has the signs of his office 'float' over his left hand. They appear to be bull's horns, but I cannot say for sure without further checking.

      Above the sun goddess's hand are the signs of what appear to be a horned altar with something emerging; a symbol of sunrise/sunset, maybe similar in meaning to the Egyptian akhet horizon sign.

      Floating over their respective symbols is an oval with a line through it. If you look at the other deities in the procession, they also have this symbol near them. Sharruma is behind Hebat. His hieroglyph is a kilt with a pair of legs and shod feet. His sign has the oval symbol over it.

      The oval with a dividing line or 'stick' through the middle is the Luwian hieroglyph for 'deity, god,goddess'.

      The hands of Teshub and Hebat are closed in fists. This is sign 39, 'pugnus'. Hebat's left hand is open and raised in a manner that recall's hieroglyph 66, 'dare', 'to give'. I have to look at the picture in closer detail to read the other symbols.

      I cannot say for certain that the hand gestures are definitely purposefully posed for meaning in the frieze, but semiotic content is worth some consideration when it is so obvious.

      I hope this addresses your inquiry.

      Best regards,
      Demetria Nanos, Chicago

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "a_weber@..." <a_weber@...> wrote:

      > Dear ANE-2 members,
      >
      > I got a question concerning the following images of the Hittite Rock Sanctuary
      > of Yazilikaya:
      >
      > http://www.hattuscha.de/02-135_42ff-345x256.jpg
      >
      > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/YazilikayaTexier.jpg
      >
      > What is the specific meaning of the symbols over the left hand of the storm-
      > god Teshub and right hand of the sun-goddess Hebat (and behind her head)?
      > What is the generic meaning of the "stick" with the circle means, which is
      > part of all those three symbols?
      >
      > Thank you in advance for your help.
      >
      > Dipl.-Kfm. Alessandro Weber
      > Im Dau 12
      > 50678 Cologne
      > Germany

    • Phoenix
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2011
        The wikimedia picture is beautiful but it looks quite "cleaned up". It appears that someone drew scepters or wands extending down from the 'deus' symbol. (Deus - an oval oriented right to left length-wise, with a line or two lines dividing it in the middle.)

        The 'Deus' sign resembles a mask. Whether owl-like or Zorro-like, etc. is up to the observer.

        The symbols under 'Deus' are the deity names in symbols and/or hieroglyphic Luwian.

        Cheers,