endings and suffixes

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2011
      Recently we chatted about suffixes in Egyptian grammar. Here's a similar
      question about Semitic.

      In English, should we use different terms for the personal endings on verbs, and
      for the object or possessive pronouns that follow them or the case-endings on
      nouns?

      I'm inclined to go with "suffix" for the former -- because we already have the
      standard terms "prefix conjugation" and "suffix conjugation," and thus "endings"
      for the latter, even though (as seen above) "endings" comes more readily to mind
      for the former.

      Also available is "desinence," which I think, though, is pretty much confined to
      Romance linguistics.

      Does anyone have a kind word to say about the Germanism "afformative"? (In
      English, when used at all it simply means 'affix' no matter where it appears,
      pre-, suf-, or in-, but German contrasts "Praeformativ" and "Afformativ," so it
      has been dragged into English by too-slavish translators.)
      Jersey City (Chicago the next couple of weeks)

    • Antonio Lombatti
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2011
        ... are online

        The aim of the Ebla Digital Archives [ EbDA ] database is to provide a digital edition of the entire corpus of cuneiform texts belonging to the Ebla Royal Archives. Texts are reproduced in the same sequence as in the individual volumes of the series Archivi Reali di Ebla � Testi published by the �Italian Archaeological Mission to Siria� of the Sapienza University of Rome. Compared with the hard copy publication, the digital edition provides harmonized transliterations, corrections and numerous collations made over the years by the team of epigraphers who cooperate with the Mission.

        http://virgo.unive.it/eblaonline/cgi-bin/home.cgi

        Antonio Lombatti
        Parma, Italia
        http://www.antoniolombatti.it

      • George Athas
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2011
          I think 'prefix' and 'suffix' are appropriate terms. When it comes to verbs, I distinguish 'subject prefixes' and 'subject suffixes' from 'object suffixes'. That way you describe the function of a particular suffix. I tend to use 'endings' when it comes to markers for gender and number in substantives (e.g.. 'the masculine plural ending'). This allows a distinction from 'pronominal suffixes' on substantives.

          GEORGE ATHAS
          www.moore.edu.au