Re: [ANE-2] Max von Oppenheim/Tel Halaf/Sculptures

  • Charles E. Jones
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
      Sean McMeekin's new book "The Berlin-Baghdad Express: The Ottoman Empire and Germany's Bid for World Power, 1898-1918" puts MvO's work at Tell Halaf in a very interesting geo-political context.

      -Chuck Jones-
      ISAW - NYU
    • Joseph I. Lauer
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
        The English language Der Spiegel article about Max von Oppenheim, by
        Matthias Schulz, may be accessed as follows:
        Part 1: "The Spectacular Life and Finds of Max von Oppenheim" at
        http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,741928,00.html
        Part 2: "Amazing Discoveries in the Desert" at
        http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,741928-2,00.html
        As noted by Dr. Braun, the gallery of photos accessible from the
        article's site is at
        http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-63988.html
        Joseph I. Lauer
        Brooklyn, New York
      • Mario Fales
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2011
          Thanks to Chuck Jones for the interesting bibliographical suggestion. On my
          part, I recommend the vast catalogue by Nadja Cholidis and Lutz Martin
          (Eds.), * Tell Halaf. Im Krieg zerstoerte Denkmaeler und ihre Restaurierung,
          * Berlin, Walter de Gruyter 2010, which was on sale at the Rencontre
          Assyriologique in Barcelona last summer, but is still reasonable at the full
          price of some 130 �, since it bears 500 pp. in A3 format with hundreds of
          b/w photos, maps, etc., and 131 color plates, as well as a parallel Cd.ROM.

          F. Mario Fales
          University of Udine