Max von Oppenheim/Tel Halaf/Sculptures

  • eliot braun
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
      List members may find this link interesting:

      http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-63988.html

      Eliot Braun, Ph D
      PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
      Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

    • Charles E. Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
        Sean McMeekin's new book "The Berlin-Baghdad Express: The Ottoman Empire and Germany's Bid for World Power, 1898-1918" puts MvO's work at Tell Halaf in a very interesting geo-political context.

        -Chuck Jones-
        ISAW - NYU
      • Joseph I. Lauer
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2011
          The English language Der Spiegel article about Max von Oppenheim, by
          Matthias Schulz, may be accessed as follows:
          Part 1: "The Spectacular Life and Finds of Max von Oppenheim" at
          http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,741928,00.html
          Part 2: "Amazing Discoveries in the Desert" at
          http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,741928-2,00.html
          As noted by Dr. Braun, the gallery of photos accessible from the
          article's site is at
          http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-63988.html
          Joseph I. Lauer
          Brooklyn, New York
        • Mario Fales
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2011
            Thanks to Chuck Jones for the interesting bibliographical suggestion. On my
            part, I recommend the vast catalogue by Nadja Cholidis and Lutz Martin
            (Eds.), * Tell Halaf. Im Krieg zerstoerte Denkmaeler und ihre Restaurierung,
            * Berlin, Walter de Gruyter 2010, which was on sale at the Rencontre
            Assyriologique in Barcelona last summer, but is still reasonable at the full
            price of some 130 �, since it bears 500 pp. in A3 format with hundreds of
            b/w photos, maps, etc., and 131 color plates, as well as a parallel Cd.ROM.

            F. Mario Fales
            University of Udine