Re: [ANE-2] Investigating ancient economic integration

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2011
      For Egyptian activities in Canaan, you may need to study Egyptian
      inscriptions.  The Papyrus Anastasi contains testimony from the scribe Amenomope
      about Canaan from an Egyptian point of view.

      From my book collection:

      Egypt, Canaan, and Israel in Ancient Times, Redford, 1992

      Biblical Peoples and Ethnicity, Killebrew, 2005, includes a section about Egypt
      in Canaan.

      For trade links between the Hyksos of Avaris and the Canaanites in the MBII:

      The Hyksos: New Historical and Archaeological Perspectives, 1997, Oren editor.

      Seagoing and Seamanship in the Bronze Age Levant, Wachsmann, 1998 includes
      illustrated records of Syrian mariners unloading freight on an Egyptian shore.

      Ancient Egypt and the Old Testament, Currid, 1997.

      General history of Egypt texts may include the Egyptian campaigns in Canaan from
      the time of Thutmosis III until the time of Shoshenq.

      The Amarna letters are also useful texts about Canaanite relations during the
      Amarna era.

      Raphael Giveon collected Egyptian conquest texts including descriptions of tens
      of thousands of

      Canaanite captives taken back to Egypt as slaves.  He also collected Egyptian
      texts describing the Shosu Bedouin of Canaan.

      Individual excavation reports from Lachish, Aphek, Bet(h) Shean, Joppa, Tel el
      Farah (south) revealed evidence of Egyptian occupation in Canaan.  Numerous
      Egyptian scarabs have been found in tombs across Canaan as evidence for Egyptian
      culture therein.

      David Q. Hall
      Falls Church, Virginia

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2011
        Dear Walter,

        Thank you for your note. There has, however, been a mistake. I'm David Lorton, and you intended to write to David Hall.

        Yours,

        David