Re: Bronze Age Baetyls

  • Jonathan Stökl
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2011
      I think we should also mention the rather important book on betyles at Mari (being on the cusp between Mesopotamia and the 'West'):

      Durand, Jean-Marie, Florilegium marianum VIII. Le culte des pierres et les monuments commémoratifs en Syrie amorrite (Mémoires de N.A.B.U. 9/Supplément à NABU 2005 no.2, Paris: SEPOA), 2005.

      best,
      Jonathan Stokl
      University College Londonn
    • Lisbeth S. Fried
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 23, 2011
        Fascinating. Thanks!

        Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph.D.
        Department of Near Eastern Studies
        and the Frankel Center for Judaic Studies
        University of Michigan
        202 S. Thayer -- Room 4111
        Ann Arbor, MI 48104
        www.lizfried.com <http://www.lizfried.com/>

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 26, 2011
          I don't have it on hand, but you should also consult the Dictionary of Deities and Demons (DDD). It will have a discussion and bibliography, too. I discuss Baetyls very briefly in my book on the Tel Dan Inscription, but it refers mainly to Iron Age usage.

          GEORGE ATHAS
          (currently in Cape Town, South Africa)