Michael Rowton's articles

    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
      Dear members of the ANE-2 group,

      Today's discussion about the late Michael Rowton's extended series of articles on ancient nomadism immediately sparkled an interest in having these articles available to everybody. Pieter Van Der Veen and I got into contact this morning and agreed that it can be done. It will not be tomorrow or the day after – we are both heavily engaged in other projects – but give it two years, and we hope that we will be approaching a proper publication (book). We have invited two more scholars to join the team, Izaak de Hulster, and Emanuel Pfoh, and they have both accepted.

      It will be too early to present a publisher (although we have certain ideas).

      We make this announcement already now just in case that some other groups may already be doing the job.

      Finally, the list of Michael Rowton's articles may finalize as this:

      The Topological Factor in the Ḫapiru Problem, in Studies in honor of Benno Landsberger on his seventy-fifth birthday april 21, 1965, AS 16 (1965), pp. 375-387
      The Physical Environment and the Problem of the Nomad, in J.-R. Kupper ed., XV RAI, 1966, pp. 109-121
      The Woodlands of Ancient Western Asia, JNES 26 (1967), pp. 261-277
      The Abu Amurrim, Iraq 31 (1969), pp. 375-387
      The Role of the Watercourses in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, in M. Dietrich - W. Röllig edd., lišan mitḫurti, Festschrift Wolfram Freiherr von Soden, AOAT 1 (1969), pp. 307-316
      Watercourses and water Rights in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, JCS 21 (1969), pp. 267-274
      Autonomy and Nomadism in Western Asia, Or NS 42 (1973), pp. 247-258
      Urban Autonomy in a Nomadic Environment, JNES 23 (1973), pp. 201-215
      Enclosed Nomadism, JESHO 17 (1974), pp. 1-30
      Dimorphic Structure and the Problem of the ‛Apiru-‛Ibrim, JNES 35 (1976), pp. 13-20
      Dimorphic Structure and Topology, OA 15 (1976), pp. 17-31
      Dimorphic Structure and the Tribal Elite, in al-Bahit, Festschrift Joseph Henninger, St. Augustin bei Bonn 1976, pp. 219-257
      Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element, JNES 36 (1977), pp. 181-198
      Economic and Politic Factors in Ancient Nomadism, in J. Silva Castillo ed., Nomads and Sedentary Peoples, El Colegio de Mexico 1981, pp. 25-36
      Pastoralism and the periphery in Evolutionary Perspective, in , in M. Th. Barrelet ed., L’Archéologie de l’Iraq du debut de l’époque néolithique à 333 avant notre ère. Perspectives et limites de l’interprétation anthropologiques des documents, Colloques Internationaux du CNRS 580, Paris 1981, pp. 291-301
      Sumer's Strategic Periphery in Topological Perspective, in G. van Driel - Th. J. H. Krispijn - M. Stol - K. R. Veenhof edd., zikir šumim, Assyriological Studies Presented to F. R. Kraus on the Occasion of his Seventieth Birthday, Leiden 1982, pp. 218-325
      War, Trade and the Emerging Power Center, in H.-J. Nissen - J. Renger eds., Mesopotamien und sein Nachbarn, XXV RAI, Berlin 1982, pp. 187-194
      The Role of Ethnic Invasion and the Chiefdom Regime in Dimorphic Interaction: The Post-Kassite Period (ca. 1150-750 B.C.), in F. Rochberg-Halton ed., Language, Literature, and History: Philological and Historical Studies Presented to Erica Reiner, AOS 67, New Haven 1987, pp. 367-378

      Pieter Van Der Veen Niels Peter Lemche
    • Yigal Bloch
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
        Many thanks to those who replied to my question.

        Yigal Bloch,
        Jerusalem

      • Yigal Bloch
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
          What's wrong with the very idea of a dimorphic society?
          Of course, it will be good to have Rowton's articles in a collected form.

          Yigal BLoch,
          Jerusalem

          AS far as I understand, Rowton was working at a collected edition of his articles when he suddenly died in January 1986. Since then nobody cared. His studies belong, however, among the more important studies of this subject. Read most of them when working with Early Israel (1985). Although his basic ideas may not be absolutely correct (the very idea of a "dimorphic" society), they are still important. If the articles could be put together, it would be nice, either in paper, or perhaps better in an electronic version. I suppose that these studies belong together with, e.g., Kupper's Les nomades, among the classics in this field.

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
            because it was never like that. It is building on a series of stereotypes about nomad-peasant-urban interconnections. Otherwise, dig out Early Israel. I wrote that more than 25 years ago and have no time to look up details.

            Niels Peter Lemche

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
              Dear colleagues,

              I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

              many thanks
              Peter van der Veen
              --
              Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
              Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA

              Reinhardstrasse 31
              D-73614 Schorndorf
              Germany
              Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
            • Thomas Verenna
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                Have you tried getting in touch with James Tabor?

                Cordially,

                Thomas Verenna
                Philadelphia, PA

                On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Peter Van Der Veen <van_der_Veen@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Dear colleagues,
                >
                > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact
                > him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.
                >
                > many thanks
                > Peter van der Veen
                > --
                > Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                > Arbeitsgruppe f�r Biblische Arch�ologie/ABA
                > Postdoctoral studies at
                > Trinity College Bristol
                > Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz
                >
                > Reinhardstrasse 31
                > D-73614 Schorndorf
                > Germany
                > Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)

              • Antonio Lombatti
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                  Il giorno 18/lug/2011, alle ore 17.43, Peter Van Der Veen ha scritto:

                  > Dear colleagues,
                  >
                  > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                  shimgib@...

                  Best

                  Antonio Lombatti
                  http://www.antoniolombatti.it
                  Parma, Italia

                • Peter Van Der Veen
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 19, 2011
                    Many thanks but I received in the meantime the email address of Gibson.

                    best wishes
                    Peter van der Veen

                    -------- Original-Nachricht --------