SV: SV: [ANE-2] Articles by Michael Rowton

    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
      Dear Peter,

      Good idea. I know Gary having reviewed several books for him (still owing him one review). He may be the right person.

      Niels Peter Lemche

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
        Dear members of the ANE-2 group,

        Today's discussion about the late Michael Rowton's extended series of articles on ancient nomadism immediately sparkled an interest in having these articles available to everybody. Pieter Van Der Veen and I got into contact this morning and agreed that it can be done. It will not be tomorrow or the day after – we are both heavily engaged in other projects – but give it two years, and we hope that we will be approaching a proper publication (book). We have invited two more scholars to join the team, Izaak de Hulster, and Emanuel Pfoh, and they have both accepted.

        It will be too early to present a publisher (although we have certain ideas).

        We make this announcement already now just in case that some other groups may already be doing the job.

        Finally, the list of Michael Rowton's articles may finalize as this:

        The Topological Factor in the Ḫapiru Problem, in Studies in honor of Benno Landsberger on his seventy-fifth birthday april 21, 1965, AS 16 (1965), pp. 375-387
        The Physical Environment and the Problem of the Nomad, in J.-R. Kupper ed., XV RAI, 1966, pp. 109-121
        The Woodlands of Ancient Western Asia, JNES 26 (1967), pp. 261-277
        The Abu Amurrim, Iraq 31 (1969), pp. 375-387
        The Role of the Watercourses in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, in M. Dietrich - W. Röllig edd., lišan mitḫurti, Festschrift Wolfram Freiherr von Soden, AOAT 1 (1969), pp. 307-316
        Watercourses and water Rights in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, JCS 21 (1969), pp. 267-274
        Autonomy and Nomadism in Western Asia, Or NS 42 (1973), pp. 247-258
        Urban Autonomy in a Nomadic Environment, JNES 23 (1973), pp. 201-215
        Enclosed Nomadism, JESHO 17 (1974), pp. 1-30
        Dimorphic Structure and the Problem of the ‛Apiru-‛Ibrim, JNES 35 (1976), pp. 13-20
        Dimorphic Structure and Topology, OA 15 (1976), pp. 17-31
        Dimorphic Structure and the Tribal Elite, in al-Bahit, Festschrift Joseph Henninger, St. Augustin bei Bonn 1976, pp. 219-257
        Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element, JNES 36 (1977), pp. 181-198
        Economic and Politic Factors in Ancient Nomadism, in J. Silva Castillo ed., Nomads and Sedentary Peoples, El Colegio de Mexico 1981, pp. 25-36
        Pastoralism and the periphery in Evolutionary Perspective, in , in M. Th. Barrelet ed., L’Archéologie de l’Iraq du debut de l’époque néolithique à 333 avant notre ère. Perspectives et limites de l’interprétation anthropologiques des documents, Colloques Internationaux du CNRS 580, Paris 1981, pp. 291-301
        Sumer's Strategic Periphery in Topological Perspective, in G. van Driel - Th. J. H. Krispijn - M. Stol - K. R. Veenhof edd., zikir šumim, Assyriological Studies Presented to F. R. Kraus on the Occasion of his Seventieth Birthday, Leiden 1982, pp. 218-325
        War, Trade and the Emerging Power Center, in H.-J. Nissen - J. Renger eds., Mesopotamien und sein Nachbarn, XXV RAI, Berlin 1982, pp. 187-194
        The Role of Ethnic Invasion and the Chiefdom Regime in Dimorphic Interaction: The Post-Kassite Period (ca. 1150-750 B.C.), in F. Rochberg-Halton ed., Language, Literature, and History: Philological and Historical Studies Presented to Erica Reiner, AOS 67, New Haven 1987, pp. 367-378

        Pieter Van Der Veen Niels Peter Lemche
      • Yigal Bloch
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
          Many thanks to those who replied to my question.

          Yigal Bloch,
          Jerusalem

        • Yigal Bloch
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
            What's wrong with the very idea of a dimorphic society?
            Of course, it will be good to have Rowton's articles in a collected form.

            Yigal BLoch,
            Jerusalem

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
              because it was never like that. It is building on a series of stereotypes about nomad-peasant-urban interconnections. Otherwise, dig out Early Israel. I wrote that more than 25 years ago and have no time to look up details.

              Niels Peter Lemche

              AS far as I understand, Rowton was working at a collected edition of his articles when he suddenly died in January 1986. Since then nobody cared. His studies belong, however, among the more important studies of this subject. Read most of them when working with Early Israel (1985). Although his basic ideas may not be absolutely correct (the very idea of a "dimorphic" society), they are still important. If the articles could be put together, it would be nice, either in paper, or perhaps better in an electronic version. I suppose that these studies belong together with, e.g., Kupper's Les nomades, among the classics in this field.

            • Peter Van Der Veen
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                Dear colleagues,

                I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                many thanks
                Peter van der Veen
                --
                Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA

                Reinhardstrasse 31
                D-73614 Schorndorf
                Germany
                Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
              • Thomas Verenna
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                  Have you tried getting in touch with James Tabor?

                  Cordially,

                  Thomas Verenna
                  Philadelphia, PA

                  On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Peter Van Der Veen <van_der_Veen@...>wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Dear colleagues,
                  >
                  > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact
                  > him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.
                  >
                  > many thanks
                  > Peter van der Veen
                  > --
                  > Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                  > Arbeitsgruppe f�r Biblische Arch�ologie/ABA
                  > Postdoctoral studies at
                  > Trinity College Bristol
                  > Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz
                  >
                  > Reinhardstrasse 31
                  > D-73614 Schorndorf
                  > Germany
                  > Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)

                • Antonio Lombatti
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                    Il giorno 18/lug/2011, alle ore 17.43, Peter Van Der Veen ha scritto:

                    > Dear colleagues,
                    >
                    > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                    shimgib@...

                    Best

                    Antonio Lombatti
                    http://www.antoniolombatti.it
                    Parma, Italia

                  • Peter Van Der Veen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 19, 2011
                      Many thanks but I received in the meantime the email address of Gibson.

                      best wishes
                      Peter van der Veen

                      -------- Original-Nachricht --------