Re: SV: SV: [ANE-2] Articles by Michael Rowton

  • Peter Van Der Veen
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
      Dear Niels-Peter,

      Indeed I most agree!
      Best

      Peter van der Veen
      Mainz University

      -------- Original-Nachricht --------

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
        I suggest you approach Gary Beckman, AOS Section Editor, about reviving the book
        publication of the articles. It could be a bit of a task to discover the
        copyright-holders of all of them, a quarter-century on.
        Jersey City

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
          Dear Peter,

          Good idea. I know Gary having reviewed several books for him (still owing him one review). He may be the right person.

          Niels Peter Lemche

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
            Dear members of the ANE-2 group,

            Today's discussion about the late Michael Rowton's extended series of articles on ancient nomadism immediately sparkled an interest in having these articles available to everybody. Pieter Van Der Veen and I got into contact this morning and agreed that it can be done. It will not be tomorrow or the day after – we are both heavily engaged in other projects – but give it two years, and we hope that we will be approaching a proper publication (book). We have invited two more scholars to join the team, Izaak de Hulster, and Emanuel Pfoh, and they have both accepted.

            It will be too early to present a publisher (although we have certain ideas).

            We make this announcement already now just in case that some other groups may already be doing the job.

            Finally, the list of Michael Rowton's articles may finalize as this:

            The Topological Factor in the Ḫapiru Problem, in Studies in honor of Benno Landsberger on his seventy-fifth birthday april 21, 1965, AS 16 (1965), pp. 375-387
            The Physical Environment and the Problem of the Nomad, in J.-R. Kupper ed., XV RAI, 1966, pp. 109-121
            The Woodlands of Ancient Western Asia, JNES 26 (1967), pp. 261-277
            The Abu Amurrim, Iraq 31 (1969), pp. 375-387
            The Role of the Watercourses in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, in M. Dietrich - W. Röllig edd., lišan mitḫurti, Festschrift Wolfram Freiherr von Soden, AOAT 1 (1969), pp. 307-316
            Watercourses and water Rights in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, JCS 21 (1969), pp. 267-274
            Autonomy and Nomadism in Western Asia, Or NS 42 (1973), pp. 247-258
            Urban Autonomy in a Nomadic Environment, JNES 23 (1973), pp. 201-215
            Enclosed Nomadism, JESHO 17 (1974), pp. 1-30
            Dimorphic Structure and the Problem of the ‛Apiru-‛Ibrim, JNES 35 (1976), pp. 13-20
            Dimorphic Structure and Topology, OA 15 (1976), pp. 17-31
            Dimorphic Structure and the Tribal Elite, in al-Bahit, Festschrift Joseph Henninger, St. Augustin bei Bonn 1976, pp. 219-257
            Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element, JNES 36 (1977), pp. 181-198
            Economic and Politic Factors in Ancient Nomadism, in J. Silva Castillo ed., Nomads and Sedentary Peoples, El Colegio de Mexico 1981, pp. 25-36
            Pastoralism and the periphery in Evolutionary Perspective, in , in M. Th. Barrelet ed., L’Archéologie de l’Iraq du debut de l’époque néolithique à 333 avant notre ère. Perspectives et limites de l’interprétation anthropologiques des documents, Colloques Internationaux du CNRS 580, Paris 1981, pp. 291-301
            Sumer's Strategic Periphery in Topological Perspective, in G. van Driel - Th. J. H. Krispijn - M. Stol - K. R. Veenhof edd., zikir šumim, Assyriological Studies Presented to F. R. Kraus on the Occasion of his Seventieth Birthday, Leiden 1982, pp. 218-325
            War, Trade and the Emerging Power Center, in H.-J. Nissen - J. Renger eds., Mesopotamien und sein Nachbarn, XXV RAI, Berlin 1982, pp. 187-194
            The Role of Ethnic Invasion and the Chiefdom Regime in Dimorphic Interaction: The Post-Kassite Period (ca. 1150-750 B.C.), in F. Rochberg-Halton ed., Language, Literature, and History: Philological and Historical Studies Presented to Erica Reiner, AOS 67, New Haven 1987, pp. 367-378

            Pieter Van Der Veen Niels Peter Lemche
          • Yigal Bloch
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
              Many thanks to those who replied to my question.

              Yigal Bloch,
              Jerusalem

            • Yigal Bloch
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                What's wrong with the very idea of a dimorphic society?
                Of course, it will be good to have Rowton's articles in a collected form.

                Yigal BLoch,
                Jerusalem

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                  because it was never like that. It is building on a series of stereotypes about nomad-peasant-urban interconnections. Otherwise, dig out Early Israel. I wrote that more than 25 years ago and have no time to look up details.

                  Niels Peter Lemche

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                    Dear colleagues,

                    I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                    many thanks
                    Peter van der Veen
                    --
                    Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                    Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA
                    Postdoctoral studies at
                    Trinity College Bristol
                    Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz

                    Reinhardstrasse 31
                    D-73614 Schorndorf
                    Germany
                    Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
                  • Thomas Verenna
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                      Have you tried getting in touch with James Tabor?

                      Cordially,

                      Thomas Verenna
                      Philadelphia, PA

                      On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Peter Van Der Veen <van_der_Veen@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Dear colleagues,
                      >
                      > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact
                      > him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.
                      >
                      > many thanks
                      > Peter van der Veen
                      > --
                      > Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                      > Arbeitsgruppe f�r Biblische Arch�ologie/ABA
                      > Postdoctoral studies at
                      > Trinity College Bristol
                      > Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz
                      >
                      > Reinhardstrasse 31
                      > D-73614 Schorndorf
                      > Germany
                      > Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)

                    • Antonio Lombatti
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                        Il giorno 18/lug/2011, alle ore 17.43, Peter Van Der Veen ha scritto:

                        > Dear colleagues,
                        >
                        > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                        shimgib@...

                        Best

                        Antonio Lombatti
                        http://www.antoniolombatti.it
                        Parma, Italia

                      • Peter Van Der Veen
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 19, 2011
                          Many thanks but I received in the meantime the email address of Gibson.

                          best wishes
                          Peter van der Veen

                          -------- Original-Nachricht --------