Re: SV: [ANE-2] Articles by Michael Rowton

  • Peter Van Der Veen
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
      Dear Niels-Peter,

      I fully agree. Me too I have benefitted a lot from his work when I worked on my MA thesis in 1988-89 on the habiru and ibrim (this thesis still remains unpublished but a summary was published in JACF 3). Indeed I would support the idea of his work being put together in some form.

      Best wishes
      Peter van der Veen, PhD
      Mainz University

      -------- Original-Nachricht --------

      --
      Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
      Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA

      Reinhardstrasse 31
      D-73614 Schorndorf
      Germany
      Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
        Dear Peter,

        Especially because nobody else has done something similar.

        Niels Peter Lemche

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
          Dear Niels-Peter,

          Indeed I most agree!
          Best

          Peter van der Veen
          Mainz University

          -------- Original-Nachricht --------

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
            I suggest you approach Gary Beckman, AOS Section Editor, about reviving the book
            publication of the articles. It could be a bit of a task to discover the
            copyright-holders of all of them, a quarter-century on.
            Jersey City

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
              Dear Peter,

              Good idea. I know Gary having reviewed several books for him (still owing him one review). He may be the right person.

              Niels Peter Lemche

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                Dear members of the ANE-2 group,

                Today's discussion about the late Michael Rowton's extended series of articles on ancient nomadism immediately sparkled an interest in having these articles available to everybody. Pieter Van Der Veen and I got into contact this morning and agreed that it can be done. It will not be tomorrow or the day after – we are both heavily engaged in other projects – but give it two years, and we hope that we will be approaching a proper publication (book). We have invited two more scholars to join the team, Izaak de Hulster, and Emanuel Pfoh, and they have both accepted.

                It will be too early to present a publisher (although we have certain ideas).

                We make this announcement already now just in case that some other groups may already be doing the job.

                Finally, the list of Michael Rowton's articles may finalize as this:

                The Topological Factor in the Ḫapiru Problem, in Studies in honor of Benno Landsberger on his seventy-fifth birthday april 21, 1965, AS 16 (1965), pp. 375-387
                The Physical Environment and the Problem of the Nomad, in J.-R. Kupper ed., XV RAI, 1966, pp. 109-121
                The Woodlands of Ancient Western Asia, JNES 26 (1967), pp. 261-277
                The Abu Amurrim, Iraq 31 (1969), pp. 375-387
                The Role of the Watercourses in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, in M. Dietrich - W. Röllig edd., lišan mitḫurti, Festschrift Wolfram Freiherr von Soden, AOAT 1 (1969), pp. 307-316
                Watercourses and water Rights in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, JCS 21 (1969), pp. 267-274
                Autonomy and Nomadism in Western Asia, Or NS 42 (1973), pp. 247-258
                Urban Autonomy in a Nomadic Environment, JNES 23 (1973), pp. 201-215
                Enclosed Nomadism, JESHO 17 (1974), pp. 1-30
                Dimorphic Structure and the Problem of the ‛Apiru-‛Ibrim, JNES 35 (1976), pp. 13-20
                Dimorphic Structure and Topology, OA 15 (1976), pp. 17-31
                Dimorphic Structure and the Tribal Elite, in al-Bahit, Festschrift Joseph Henninger, St. Augustin bei Bonn 1976, pp. 219-257
                Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element, JNES 36 (1977), pp. 181-198
                Economic and Politic Factors in Ancient Nomadism, in J. Silva Castillo ed., Nomads and Sedentary Peoples, El Colegio de Mexico 1981, pp. 25-36
                Pastoralism and the periphery in Evolutionary Perspective, in , in M. Th. Barrelet ed., L’Archéologie de l’Iraq du debut de l’époque néolithique à 333 avant notre ère. Perspectives et limites de l’interprétation anthropologiques des documents, Colloques Internationaux du CNRS 580, Paris 1981, pp. 291-301
                Sumer's Strategic Periphery in Topological Perspective, in G. van Driel - Th. J. H. Krispijn - M. Stol - K. R. Veenhof edd., zikir šumim, Assyriological Studies Presented to F. R. Kraus on the Occasion of his Seventieth Birthday, Leiden 1982, pp. 218-325
                War, Trade and the Emerging Power Center, in H.-J. Nissen - J. Renger eds., Mesopotamien und sein Nachbarn, XXV RAI, Berlin 1982, pp. 187-194
                The Role of Ethnic Invasion and the Chiefdom Regime in Dimorphic Interaction: The Post-Kassite Period (ca. 1150-750 B.C.), in F. Rochberg-Halton ed., Language, Literature, and History: Philological and Historical Studies Presented to Erica Reiner, AOS 67, New Haven 1987, pp. 367-378

                Pieter Van Der Veen Niels Peter Lemche
              • Yigal Bloch
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                  Many thanks to those who replied to my question.

                  Yigal Bloch,
                  Jerusalem

                • Yigal Bloch
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                    What's wrong with the very idea of a dimorphic society?
                    Of course, it will be good to have Rowton's articles in a collected form.

                    Yigal BLoch,
                    Jerusalem

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                      because it was never like that. It is building on a series of stereotypes about nomad-peasant-urban interconnections. Otherwise, dig out Early Israel. I wrote that more than 25 years ago and have no time to look up details.

                      Niels Peter Lemche

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                        Dear colleagues,

                        I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                        many thanks
                        Peter van der Veen
                        --
                        Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                        Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA
                        Postdoctoral studies at
                        Trinity College Bristol
                        Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz

                        Reinhardstrasse 31
                        D-73614 Schorndorf
                        Germany
                        Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
                      • Thomas Verenna
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                          Have you tried getting in touch with James Tabor?

                          Cordially,

                          Thomas Verenna
                          Philadelphia, PA

                          On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Peter Van Der Veen <van_der_Veen@...>wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Dear colleagues,
                          >
                          > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact
                          > him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.
                          >
                          > many thanks
                          > Peter van der Veen
                          > --
                          > Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                          > Arbeitsgruppe f�r Biblische Arch�ologie/ABA
                          > Postdoctoral studies at
                          > Trinity College Bristol
                          > Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz
                          >
                          > Reinhardstrasse 31
                          > D-73614 Schorndorf
                          > Germany
                          > Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)

                        • Antonio Lombatti
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                            Il giorno 18/lug/2011, alle ore 17.43, Peter Van Der Veen ha scritto:

                            > Dear colleagues,
                            >
                            > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                            shimgib@...

                            Best

                            Antonio Lombatti
                            http://www.antoniolombatti.it
                            Parma, Italia

                          • Peter Van Der Veen
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 19, 2011
                              Many thanks but I received in the meantime the email address of Gibson.

                              best wishes
                              Peter van der Veen

                              -------- Original-Nachricht --------