SV: [ANE-2] Articles by Michael Rowton

    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
      apart from those already mentioned:

      Pastoralism and the Periphery in Evolutionary Perspective: Colloques internatuionaux de C.N.R.S. No. 580 - L'archéeologie de l'Iraq, Paris 1980: 291-301.

      Niels Peter Lemche

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
        The articles devoted by Rowton to the problem of Dimorphic Structure are
        much more, per Rowton himself. In "Dimorphic Structure and Topology",
        Oriens Antiquus 15/1, Rome 1976, he wrote, p. 17:

        "The present article is the sixth in a series of sixteen articles dealing
        with the role of dimorphic structure and topology in the history of Western
        Asia, most of which either have already been published or are already in
        print", and in n. 4:

        "Listed in logical, not chronological sequence, these are:
        (i) Autonomy and Nomadism in Western Asia: Or 42 (1973), pp. 247-258;
        (ii) Urban autonomy in a nomadic environment: JNES 32 (1973), pp. 201-215;
        (iii) Enclosed nomadism: JESHO 17 (1974), pp. 1-30
        (iv) Dimorphic structure and the tribal elite: "Studia Instituti Anthropos"
        30 (1976) [= Al-bahit. Fs Joseph Henninger, St. Augustine 1976, pp. 219-257]
        (v) The Abu Amurrim: "Iraq" 31 (1969), pp. 68-73;
        (vi) The present article [= OrAn 15];
        (vii) The physical environment and the problem of the nomads: RAI 15 (1967)
        pp. 109-121 [= La civilisation de Mari, Liège 1967];
        (viii) The woodlands of Ancient Western Asia: JNES 26 (1967), pp. 261-277;
        (ix) The role of the watercourses in the growth of Mesopotamian
        civilization: AOAT 1 (1969), pp. 307-316 [= Fs von Soden,
        Kevelaer/Neukirchen-Vluyn];
        (x) Watercourses and water rights in the official correspondence from Larsa
        and Isin: JCS 21 (1967), pp. 267-274;
        (xi) The topological factor in the hapiru problem: AS 16 (1965), pp.
        375-387 [= Fs B. Landsberger, Chicago];
        (xii) Dimorphic structure and the problem of the 'apiru-'ibrim: JNES 35
        (1976), pp. 13-20".

        So far what Rowton himself had to offer in 1976, with a clear plan in his
        mind for a future publication in a volume. Afterward I'm aware of only 5
        articles on the problem:

        (xiii) Dimorphic structure and the parasocial element: JNES 36 (1977), pp.
        181-198;
        (xiv) Pastoralism and the periphery in the evolutionary perspective:
        "L'archéologie de l'Iraq du debut del'époque néolithique à 333 avant notre
        ère, Paris 1980, pp. 291-301;
        (xv) Sumer's strategic periphery in topological perspective, in: G. van
        Driel et al. eds., "Zikir Shumim. Assyriological studies presented to F.R.
        Kraus", Leiden 1982, pp. 318-325;
        (xvi) War, trade and the emerging power centre, in: H.-J. Nissen and J.
        Renger eds., Mesopotamien und seine Nachbarn (= RAI 25, 1978), Berlin 1982,
        pp. 187-194;
        (xvii) The role of ethnic invasion and the chiefdom regime in dimoprhic
        interactions: The post-Kassite period (ca. 1150-750), in: F.
        Rochberg-Halton ed., "Philological and historical studies presented to
        Erica Reiner", New Haven 1987, pp. 367-378.

        And so they are seventeen insteed of sixteen. Perhaps there are others I'm
        not aware of, but I hope this help. With best regards,

        Giuseppe Del Monte

        At 19.03 04/01/2011, you wrote:
        >I am not aware of anything Rowton wrote on this after 1977. Here is the
        >fulllest list I have of hist treatment of the dimorphic socieites:
        >

        > 1967. The Woodlands of Ancient Western Asia. JNES 26:261-77.
        >1973. Urban Autonomy in a Nomadic Environment. JNES 32:201-15.
        > 1973. Autonomy and Nomadism in Western
        > Asia. Orientalia 42:247-58.
        >1974. Enclosed Nomadism. JESHO 17:1-30.
        >1976. Dimorphic Structure and Topology. OrAn 15:17-31.
        >1976. Dimorphic Structure and the Tribal Elite. Studia Instituti
        >Anthropos 28:219-58.
        >1976. Dimorphic Structure and the Problem of the `Apirû/`Ibrîm. JNES
        >35:13-20.
        >1977. Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element. JNES 36:181-98.
        >
        >I, too, would love to know if anything came after these.
        >
        >Bob Miller
        >Catholic University of America

        Prof. Giuseppe del Monte
        Professore Ordinario di
        Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
        Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
        Università di Pisa
        via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
        Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

        -----
        Nessun virus nel messaggio.
        Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
        Versione: 10.0.1191 / Database dei virus: 1435/3357 - Data di rilascio: 03/01/2011
      • Thomas L. Thompson
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
          One could also add:"Economic and Political Factors in ancient Nomadisim" in J.S. Castillo (ed.), Nomads and Sedentary Peoples (Colegio di Mexico, 1981), 25-36.
          Thomas

          Thomas L. Thompson
          Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen

          ________________________________

          Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...<mailto:gdelmonte%40lunet.it>>

          -----
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
            AS far as I understand, Rowton was working at a collected edition of his articles when he suddenly died in January 1986. Since then nobody cared. His studies belong, however, among the more important studies of this subject. Read most of them when working with Early Israel (1985). Although his basic ideas may not be absolutely correct (the very idea of a "dimorphic" society), they are still important. If the articles could be put together, it would be nice, either in paper, or perhaps better in an electronic version. I suppose that these studies belong together with, e.g., Kupper's Les nomades, among the classics in this field.

            Niels Peter Lemche
          • Peter Van Der Veen
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
              Dear Niels-Peter,

              I fully agree. Me too I have benefitted a lot from his work when I worked on my MA thesis in 1988-89 on the habiru and ibrim (this thesis still remains unpublished but a summary was published in JACF 3). Indeed I would support the idea of his work being put together in some form.

              Best wishes
              Peter van der Veen, PhD
              Mainz University

              -------- Original-Nachricht --------

              --
              Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
              Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA

              Reinhardstrasse 31
              D-73614 Schorndorf
              Germany
              Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                Dear Peter,

                Especially because nobody else has done something similar.

                Niels Peter Lemche

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                  Dear Niels-Peter,

                  Indeed I most agree!
                  Best

                  Peter van der Veen
                  Mainz University

                  -------- Original-Nachricht --------

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                    I suggest you approach Gary Beckman, AOS Section Editor, about reviving the book
                    publication of the articles. It could be a bit of a task to discover the
                    copyright-holders of all of them, a quarter-century on.
                    Jersey City

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                      Dear Peter,

                      Good idea. I know Gary having reviewed several books for him (still owing him one review). He may be the right person.

                      Niels Peter Lemche

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                        Dear members of the ANE-2 group,

                        Today's discussion about the late Michael Rowton's extended series of articles on ancient nomadism immediately sparkled an interest in having these articles available to everybody. Pieter Van Der Veen and I got into contact this morning and agreed that it can be done. It will not be tomorrow or the day after – we are both heavily engaged in other projects – but give it two years, and we hope that we will be approaching a proper publication (book). We have invited two more scholars to join the team, Izaak de Hulster, and Emanuel Pfoh, and they have both accepted.

                        It will be too early to present a publisher (although we have certain ideas).

                        We make this announcement already now just in case that some other groups may already be doing the job.

                        Finally, the list of Michael Rowton's articles may finalize as this:

                        The Topological Factor in the Ḫapiru Problem, in Studies in honor of Benno Landsberger on his seventy-fifth birthday april 21, 1965, AS 16 (1965), pp. 375-387
                        The Physical Environment and the Problem of the Nomad, in J.-R. Kupper ed., XV RAI, 1966, pp. 109-121
                        The Woodlands of Ancient Western Asia, JNES 26 (1967), pp. 261-277
                        The Abu Amurrim, Iraq 31 (1969), pp. 375-387
                        The Role of the Watercourses in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, in M. Dietrich - W. Röllig edd., lišan mitḫurti, Festschrift Wolfram Freiherr von Soden, AOAT 1 (1969), pp. 307-316
                        Watercourses and water Rights in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, JCS 21 (1969), pp. 267-274
                        Autonomy and Nomadism in Western Asia, Or NS 42 (1973), pp. 247-258
                        Urban Autonomy in a Nomadic Environment, JNES 23 (1973), pp. 201-215
                        Enclosed Nomadism, JESHO 17 (1974), pp. 1-30
                        Dimorphic Structure and the Problem of the ‛Apiru-‛Ibrim, JNES 35 (1976), pp. 13-20
                        Dimorphic Structure and Topology, OA 15 (1976), pp. 17-31
                        Dimorphic Structure and the Tribal Elite, in al-Bahit, Festschrift Joseph Henninger, St. Augustin bei Bonn 1976, pp. 219-257
                        Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element, JNES 36 (1977), pp. 181-198
                        Economic and Politic Factors in Ancient Nomadism, in J. Silva Castillo ed., Nomads and Sedentary Peoples, El Colegio de Mexico 1981, pp. 25-36
                        Pastoralism and the periphery in Evolutionary Perspective, in , in M. Th. Barrelet ed., L’Archéologie de l’Iraq du debut de l’époque néolithique à 333 avant notre ère. Perspectives et limites de l’interprétation anthropologiques des documents, Colloques Internationaux du CNRS 580, Paris 1981, pp. 291-301
                        Sumer's Strategic Periphery in Topological Perspective, in G. van Driel - Th. J. H. Krispijn - M. Stol - K. R. Veenhof edd., zikir šumim, Assyriological Studies Presented to F. R. Kraus on the Occasion of his Seventieth Birthday, Leiden 1982, pp. 218-325
                        War, Trade and the Emerging Power Center, in H.-J. Nissen - J. Renger eds., Mesopotamien und sein Nachbarn, XXV RAI, Berlin 1982, pp. 187-194
                        The Role of Ethnic Invasion and the Chiefdom Regime in Dimorphic Interaction: The Post-Kassite Period (ca. 1150-750 B.C.), in F. Rochberg-Halton ed., Language, Literature, and History: Philological and Historical Studies Presented to Erica Reiner, AOS 67, New Haven 1987, pp. 367-378

                        Pieter Van Der Veen Niels Peter Lemche
                      • Yigal Bloch
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                          Many thanks to those who replied to my question.

                          Yigal Bloch,
                          Jerusalem

                        • Yigal Bloch
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                            What's wrong with the very idea of a dimorphic society?
                            Of course, it will be good to have Rowton's articles in a collected form.

                            Yigal BLoch,
                            Jerusalem

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                              because it was never like that. It is building on a series of stereotypes about nomad-peasant-urban interconnections. Otherwise, dig out Early Israel. I wrote that more than 25 years ago and have no time to look up details.

                              Niels Peter Lemche

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                                Dear colleagues,

                                I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                                many thanks
                                Peter van der Veen
                                --
                                Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                                Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA
                                Postdoctoral studies at
                                Trinity College Bristol
                                Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz

                                Reinhardstrasse 31
                                D-73614 Schorndorf
                                Germany
                                Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
                              • Thomas Verenna
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                                  Have you tried getting in touch with James Tabor?

                                  Cordially,

                                  Thomas Verenna
                                  Philadelphia, PA

                                  On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Peter Van Der Veen <van_der_Veen@...>wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Dear colleagues,
                                  >
                                  > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact
                                  > him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.
                                  >
                                  > many thanks
                                  > Peter van der Veen
                                  > --
                                  > Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                                  > Arbeitsgruppe f�r Biblische Arch�ologie/ABA
                                  > Postdoctoral studies at
                                  > Trinity College Bristol
                                  > Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz
                                  >
                                  > Reinhardstrasse 31
                                  > D-73614 Schorndorf
                                  > Germany
                                  > Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)

                                • Antonio Lombatti
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                                    Il giorno 18/lug/2011, alle ore 17.43, Peter Van Der Veen ha scritto:

                                    > Dear colleagues,
                                    >
                                    > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                                    shimgib@...

                                    Best

                                    Antonio Lombatti
                                    http://www.antoniolombatti.it
                                    Parma, Italia

                                  • Peter Van Der Veen
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 19, 2011
                                      Many thanks but I received in the meantime the email address of Gibson.

                                      best wishes
                                      Peter van der Veen

                                      -------- Original-Nachricht --------