Articles by Michael Rowton

  • Yigal Bloch
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
      Dear ANErs,

      I have a question to those of you who are acquainted with the work of Michael B. Rowton on the "dimorphic structure" of the ANE society.
      His last article on this topic, of which I am aware, is "Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element" in JNES 36 (1977): 181-198.
      There he mentions his intent to publish two further articles on the same topic based on Mesopotamian sources, and one more article dealing specifically with Ancient Israel.
      Does anyone know whether those articles were ever published, and if so, where?

      With best regards,

      Yigal Bloch,
      Jerusalem

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
        As I recall, when he died he had written all but one of the intended twelve
        articles that were to be gathered into a volume in the American Oriental Series
        (the Section Editor then was Johannes Renger), and they were in as many
        different journals. Nothing came of the plan.
        Jersey City

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
          I am not aware of anything Rowton wrote on this after 1977. Here is the fulllest list I have of hist treatment of the dimorphic socieites:

          1967. The Woodlands of Ancient Western Asia. JNES 26:261-77.
          1973. Urban Autonomy in a Nomadic Environment. JNES 32:201-15.
          1973. Autonomy and Nomadism in Western Asia. Orientalia 42:247-58.
          1974. Enclosed Nomadism. JESHO 17:1-30.
          1976. Dimorphic Structure and Topology. OrAn 15:17-31.
          1976. Dimorphic Structure and the Tribal Elite. Studia Instituti Anthropos 28:219-58.
          1976. Dimorphic Structure and the Problem of the `Apirû/`Ibrîm. JNES 35:13-20.
          1977. Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element. JNES 36:181-98.

          I, too, would love to know if anything came after these.

          Bob Miller
          Catholic University of America
        • Stephen Goranson
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
            The role of ethnic invasion and the chiefdom regime in dimorphic interaction : the post Kassite period (ca 1150-750 BC) By: Rowton, Michael B.. In: Language, literature, and history: philological and historical studies presented to Erica Reiner, p 367-378. New Haven, Conn : American Oriental Society, 1987

            Stephen Goranson
            http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
              apart from those already mentioned:

              Pastoralism and the Periphery in Evolutionary Perspective: Colloques internatuionaux de C.N.R.S. No. 580 - L'archéeologie de l'Iraq, Paris 1980: 291-301.

              Niels Peter Lemche

              I have a question to those of you who are acquainted with the work of Michael B. Rowton on the "dimorphic structure" of the ANE society.
              His last article on this topic, of which I am aware, is "Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element" in JNES 36 (1977): 181-198.
              There he mentions his intent to publish two further articles on the same topic based on Mesopotamian sources, and one more article dealing specifically with Ancient Israel.
              Does anyone know whether those articles were ever published, and if so, where?

              With best regards,

              Yigal Bloch,
              Jerusalem

            • Giuseppe Del Monte
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
                The articles devoted by Rowton to the problem of Dimorphic Structure are
                much more, per Rowton himself. In "Dimorphic Structure and Topology",
                Oriens Antiquus 15/1, Rome 1976, he wrote, p. 17:

                "The present article is the sixth in a series of sixteen articles dealing
                with the role of dimorphic structure and topology in the history of Western
                Asia, most of which either have already been published or are already in
                print", and in n. 4:

                "Listed in logical, not chronological sequence, these are:
                (i) Autonomy and Nomadism in Western Asia: Or 42 (1973), pp. 247-258;
                (ii) Urban autonomy in a nomadic environment: JNES 32 (1973), pp. 201-215;
                (iii) Enclosed nomadism: JESHO 17 (1974), pp. 1-30
                (iv) Dimorphic structure and the tribal elite: "Studia Instituti Anthropos"
                30 (1976) [= Al-bahit. Fs Joseph Henninger, St. Augustine 1976, pp. 219-257]
                (v) The Abu Amurrim: "Iraq" 31 (1969), pp. 68-73;
                (vi) The present article [= OrAn 15];
                (vii) The physical environment and the problem of the nomads: RAI 15 (1967)
                pp. 109-121 [= La civilisation de Mari, Liège 1967];
                (viii) The woodlands of Ancient Western Asia: JNES 26 (1967), pp. 261-277;
                (ix) The role of the watercourses in the growth of Mesopotamian
                civilization: AOAT 1 (1969), pp. 307-316 [= Fs von Soden,
                Kevelaer/Neukirchen-Vluyn];
                (x) Watercourses and water rights in the official correspondence from Larsa
                and Isin: JCS 21 (1967), pp. 267-274;
                (xi) The topological factor in the hapiru problem: AS 16 (1965), pp.
                375-387 [= Fs B. Landsberger, Chicago];
                (xii) Dimorphic structure and the problem of the 'apiru-'ibrim: JNES 35
                (1976), pp. 13-20".

                So far what Rowton himself had to offer in 1976, with a clear plan in his
                mind for a future publication in a volume. Afterward I'm aware of only 5
                articles on the problem:

                (xiii) Dimorphic structure and the parasocial element: JNES 36 (1977), pp.
                181-198;
                (xiv) Pastoralism and the periphery in the evolutionary perspective:
                "L'archéologie de l'Iraq du debut del'époque néolithique à 333 avant notre
                ère, Paris 1980, pp. 291-301;
                (xv) Sumer's strategic periphery in topological perspective, in: G. van
                Driel et al. eds., "Zikir Shumim. Assyriological studies presented to F.R.
                Kraus", Leiden 1982, pp. 318-325;
                (xvi) War, trade and the emerging power centre, in: H.-J. Nissen and J.
                Renger eds., Mesopotamien und seine Nachbarn (= RAI 25, 1978), Berlin 1982,
                pp. 187-194;
                (xvii) The role of ethnic invasion and the chiefdom regime in dimoprhic
                interactions: The post-Kassite period (ca. 1150-750), in: F.
                Rochberg-Halton ed., "Philological and historical studies presented to
                Erica Reiner", New Haven 1987, pp. 367-378.

                And so they are seventeen insteed of sixteen. Perhaps there are others I'm
                not aware of, but I hope this help. With best regards,

                Giuseppe Del Monte

                At 19.03 04/01/2011, you wrote:
                >I am not aware of anything Rowton wrote on this after 1977. Here is the
                >fulllest list I have of hist treatment of the dimorphic socieites:
                >

                > 1967. The Woodlands of Ancient Western Asia. JNES 26:261-77.
                >1973. Urban Autonomy in a Nomadic Environment. JNES 32:201-15.
                > 1973. Autonomy and Nomadism in Western
                > Asia. Orientalia 42:247-58.
                >1974. Enclosed Nomadism. JESHO 17:1-30.
                >1976. Dimorphic Structure and Topology. OrAn 15:17-31.
                >1976. Dimorphic Structure and the Tribal Elite. Studia Instituti
                >Anthropos 28:219-58.
                >1976. Dimorphic Structure and the Problem of the `Apirû/`Ibrîm. JNES
                >35:13-20.
                >1977. Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element. JNES 36:181-98.
                >
                >I, too, would love to know if anything came after these.
                >
                >Bob Miller
                >Catholic University of America

                Prof. Giuseppe del Monte
                Professore Ordinario di
                Storia del Vicino Oriente antico
                Dpt. Scienze storiche del mondo antico
                Università di Pisa
                via Galvani 1 - I-56100 Pisa
                Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...>

                -----
                Nessun virus nel messaggio.
                Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
                Versione: 10.0.1191 / Database dei virus: 1435/3357 - Data di rilascio: 03/01/2011
              • Thomas L. Thompson
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
                  One could also add:"Economic and Political Factors in ancient Nomadisim" in J.S. Castillo (ed.), Nomads and Sedentary Peoples (Colegio di Mexico, 1981), 25-36.
                  Thomas

                  Thomas L. Thompson
                  Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen

                  ________________________________

                  Fax 39-050-500668 - E-mail <gdelmonte@...<mailto:gdelmonte%40lunet.it>>

                  -----
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                    AS far as I understand, Rowton was working at a collected edition of his articles when he suddenly died in January 1986. Since then nobody cared. His studies belong, however, among the more important studies of this subject. Read most of them when working with Early Israel (1985). Although his basic ideas may not be absolutely correct (the very idea of a "dimorphic" society), they are still important. If the articles could be put together, it would be nice, either in paper, or perhaps better in an electronic version. I suppose that these studies belong together with, e.g., Kupper's Les nomades, among the classics in this field.

                    Niels Peter Lemche
                  • Peter Van Der Veen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                      Dear Niels-Peter,

                      I fully agree. Me too I have benefitted a lot from his work when I worked on my MA thesis in 1988-89 on the habiru and ibrim (this thesis still remains unpublished but a summary was published in JACF 3). Indeed I would support the idea of his work being put together in some form.

                      Best wishes
                      Peter van der Veen, PhD
                      Mainz University

                      -------- Original-Nachricht --------

                      --
                      Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                      Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA

                      Reinhardstrasse 31
                      D-73614 Schorndorf
                      Germany
                      Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                        Dear Peter,

                        Especially because nobody else has done something similar.

                        Niels Peter Lemche

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                          Dear Niels-Peter,

                          Indeed I most agree!
                          Best

                          Peter van der Veen
                          Mainz University

                          -------- Original-Nachricht --------

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                            I suggest you approach Gary Beckman, AOS Section Editor, about reviving the book
                            publication of the articles. It could be a bit of a task to discover the
                            copyright-holders of all of them, a quarter-century on.
                            Jersey City

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                              Dear Peter,

                              Good idea. I know Gary having reviewed several books for him (still owing him one review). He may be the right person.

                              Niels Peter Lemche

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                                Dear members of the ANE-2 group,

                                Today's discussion about the late Michael Rowton's extended series of articles on ancient nomadism immediately sparkled an interest in having these articles available to everybody. Pieter Van Der Veen and I got into contact this morning and agreed that it can be done. It will not be tomorrow or the day after – we are both heavily engaged in other projects – but give it two years, and we hope that we will be approaching a proper publication (book). We have invited two more scholars to join the team, Izaak de Hulster, and Emanuel Pfoh, and they have both accepted.

                                It will be too early to present a publisher (although we have certain ideas).

                                We make this announcement already now just in case that some other groups may already be doing the job.

                                Finally, the list of Michael Rowton's articles may finalize as this:

                                The Topological Factor in the Ḫapiru Problem, in Studies in honor of Benno Landsberger on his seventy-fifth birthday april 21, 1965, AS 16 (1965), pp. 375-387
                                The Physical Environment and the Problem of the Nomad, in J.-R. Kupper ed., XV RAI, 1966, pp. 109-121
                                The Woodlands of Ancient Western Asia, JNES 26 (1967), pp. 261-277
                                The Abu Amurrim, Iraq 31 (1969), pp. 375-387
                                The Role of the Watercourses in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, in M. Dietrich - W. Röllig edd., lišan mitḫurti, Festschrift Wolfram Freiherr von Soden, AOAT 1 (1969), pp. 307-316
                                Watercourses and water Rights in the Growth of Mesopotamian Civilization, JCS 21 (1969), pp. 267-274
                                Autonomy and Nomadism in Western Asia, Or NS 42 (1973), pp. 247-258
                                Urban Autonomy in a Nomadic Environment, JNES 23 (1973), pp. 201-215
                                Enclosed Nomadism, JESHO 17 (1974), pp. 1-30
                                Dimorphic Structure and the Problem of the ‛Apiru-‛Ibrim, JNES 35 (1976), pp. 13-20
                                Dimorphic Structure and Topology, OA 15 (1976), pp. 17-31
                                Dimorphic Structure and the Tribal Elite, in al-Bahit, Festschrift Joseph Henninger, St. Augustin bei Bonn 1976, pp. 219-257
                                Dimorphic Structure and the Parasocial Element, JNES 36 (1977), pp. 181-198
                                Economic and Politic Factors in Ancient Nomadism, in J. Silva Castillo ed., Nomads and Sedentary Peoples, El Colegio de Mexico 1981, pp. 25-36
                                Pastoralism and the periphery in Evolutionary Perspective, in , in M. Th. Barrelet ed., L’Archéologie de l’Iraq du debut de l’époque néolithique à 333 avant notre ère. Perspectives et limites de l’interprétation anthropologiques des documents, Colloques Internationaux du CNRS 580, Paris 1981, pp. 291-301
                                Sumer's Strategic Periphery in Topological Perspective, in G. van Driel - Th. J. H. Krispijn - M. Stol - K. R. Veenhof edd., zikir šumim, Assyriological Studies Presented to F. R. Kraus on the Occasion of his Seventieth Birthday, Leiden 1982, pp. 218-325
                                War, Trade and the Emerging Power Center, in H.-J. Nissen - J. Renger eds., Mesopotamien und sein Nachbarn, XXV RAI, Berlin 1982, pp. 187-194
                                The Role of Ethnic Invasion and the Chiefdom Regime in Dimorphic Interaction: The Post-Kassite Period (ca. 1150-750 B.C.), in F. Rochberg-Halton ed., Language, Literature, and History: Philological and Historical Studies Presented to Erica Reiner, AOS 67, New Haven 1987, pp. 367-378

                                Pieter Van Der Veen Niels Peter Lemche
                              • Yigal Bloch
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 5, 2011
                                  Many thanks to those who replied to my question.

                                  Yigal Bloch,
                                  Jerusalem

                                • Yigal Bloch
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                                    What's wrong with the very idea of a dimorphic society?
                                    Of course, it will be good to have Rowton's articles in a collected form.

                                    Yigal BLoch,
                                    Jerusalem

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                                      because it was never like that. It is building on a series of stereotypes about nomad-peasant-urban interconnections. Otherwise, dig out Early Israel. I wrote that more than 25 years ago and have no time to look up details.

                                      Niels Peter Lemche

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                                        Dear colleagues,

                                        I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                                        many thanks
                                        Peter van der Veen
                                        --
                                        Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                                        Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA
                                        Postdoctoral studies at
                                        Trinity College Bristol
                                        Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz

                                        Reinhardstrasse 31
                                        D-73614 Schorndorf
                                        Germany
                                        Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
                                      • Thomas Verenna
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                                          Have you tried getting in touch with James Tabor?

                                          Cordially,

                                          Thomas Verenna
                                          Philadelphia, PA

                                          On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Peter Van Der Veen <van_der_Veen@...>wrote:

                                          > **
                                          >

                                          > Dear colleagues,
                                          >
                                          > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact
                                          > him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.
                                          >
                                          > many thanks
                                          > Peter van der Veen
                                          > --
                                          > Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                                          > Arbeitsgruppe f�r Biblische Arch�ologie/ABA
                                          > Postdoctoral studies at
                                          > Trinity College Bristol
                                          > Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz
                                          >
                                          > Reinhardstrasse 31
                                          > D-73614 Schorndorf
                                          > Germany
                                          > Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)

                                        • Antonio Lombatti
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 18, 2011
                                            Il giorno 18/lug/2011, alle ore 17.43, Peter Van Der Veen ha scritto:

                                            > Dear colleagues,
                                            >
                                            > I am looking for the contact details of Dr Shimon Gibson. I need to contact him concerning our next season of survey work in Jerusalem.

                                            shimgib@...

                                            Best

                                            Antonio Lombatti
                                            http://www.antoniolombatti.it
                                            Parma, Italia

                                          • Peter Van Der Veen
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 19, 2011
                                              Many thanks but I received in the meantime the email address of Gibson.

                                              best wishes
                                              Peter van der Veen

                                              -------- Original-Nachricht --------