Re: [ANE-2] A New Year's Question: "suffix pronoun" vs "pronominal suffix"

  • Frank Polak
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
      Actually, I think, "suffix pronoun" is the better term. After all, the
      possessive/object/dative suffix
      (and the nominative suffix, if you think of the stative endings) are
      interchangeable with
      independent pronouns (and in the textual tradition also with nouns),
      but not with, e.g., enclitic particles.

      A happy new year,

      Frank Polak

    • R. Lehmann
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
        Frank,
        wouldn't that mean the the correct term could only be "SuffixED pronoun"?
        Actually I prefer pronominal suffix, esp. in contrast to conjugational suffixes as are suggested in Ugaritic, where many scholars even in German speak of Suffix Conjugation instead of Afformativ Conjugation or the like. At least pronominal suffix works much better when teaching Hebrew, Aramaic or Phoenician, at least in Germany...
        What's a suffix at all?

        Happy New Year,
        Reinhard

        ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
        Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
        Academic Director
        Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
        FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
        Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
        D-55099 Mainz
        Germany
        lehmann@...
        http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de
        http://www.ev.theologie.uni-mainz.de/297.php
        Subsidia et Instrumenta Linguarum Orientis (SILO):
        http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/182.php
        10th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH):
        http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php

      • Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
          I, too, prefer pronominal suffix for genitive and accusative pronouns
          suffixed to other words. For the subject markers, I use the terms
          sufformatives and preformatives. I deal with the Semitic languages as
          a rule, though, and I picked up the terms from Pardee, I'm sure.
          Somehow, to my addled brain, "suffixed pronoun" implies a form that
          otherwise occurs independently but can be attached to another word
          with little or no change. Historically, of course, the pronominal
          suffixes came from the independent pronouns, but now have forms quite
          distinct from the independent forms, at least in Classical Hebrew. For
          what it's worth.

          It's been a while, but doesn't Coptic have pronouns that behave as I
          described "suffixed pronouns" above?

          Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
          Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
          Oral Roberts University
          dvance@...
          donaldrvance@...

        • Frank Polak
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
            Dear Reinhard,

            In a linguistic discussion I would prefer "suffixed pronoun." In
            didactic discourse one uses whatever works.
            The terms I use are "object/dative/possessive suffix."
            The point is, I think, that the suffixed pronoun has the function of,
            and is exchangeable with an independent pronoun (or particle-pronoun)
            or a noun phrase in the same syntactic slot.
            It is not exchangeable with the endings of the suffixtenses, for they
            occupy a different slot (subject).
            Although, I tend to agree that in Akkadian the stative endings are
            "nominative suffixes".
            In Ugaritic/Phoenician/Hebrew/Aramaic/Arabic that is a different
            matter, although this view could (and should)
            be maintained for stative QaTiL/QaTuL/QaTaL (paris/parus).

            As to a suffix:
            affigo/suffigo have the part. affixus/suffixus (I looked it up),
            attached. So a suffix(ed) pronoun (pronomen suffixum) is identified as
            attachment.
            But it is not interchangeable with attached particles (enclitics).

            And now that I looked it up:
            Ewald (Grammatica Critica Linguae Arabicae �367) has it: Pronomina
            Suffixa
            Gesenius (Ausf�hrliches Lehrgeba�de, � 56-57) has Pronomen Personale
            Separatum as against P.P. Suffixum.
            Bauer_Leander have Pronomen Suffixum as against "Selbst�ndiges
            Personalpronomen, and similarly Jo�on (the French edition) and
            Brockelmann (Arabische Grammatik).
            That is where I stopped.
            Von Soden has "Pronominalsuffixe"/Selbst�ndige Personalpronomina"
            Van der Merwe/Naud�/Kroeze (Reference Grammar) speak of "Pronominal
            Suffixes",
            As always, Noeldeke is most interesting: in his Syriac Grammar he has
            "Subjektsformen" der Pronomina, Enclitische Formen an Part. und
            Adjektiv (which we also have in post-biblical Hebrew),
            Possessivsuffixa and Objektsuffixa. But there is an adder under
            the grass, for suffixa is sc. pronomina! I suppose that is the origin
            of pronominalsuffixe and "Pronominal Suffixes" etc.

            Once again,

            A happy New Year. May 2011 help us forget 2010!

            Frank

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
              Germans writing in German (as opposed to dropping Latin phrases in) these days
              tend to use "Endung" for the conjugational affixes in the perfect and "Suffix"
              for the pronominal suffixes. "Afformative" is a Germanism in English, and I
              don't recall Dennis using "sufformative" and "preformative," but they seem
              equally foreign.

              Eng. "affix" is the cover term for prefix, suffix, and infix; "ending" is
              usually a non-technical equivalent of "suffix" but the ending/suffix distinction
              could be convenient. It falls down, though, because "prefix," needed just as
              much in Semitic, has no "ending"-like counterpart.

              As for the original question, "pronominal suffix" is superior.--
              Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
              Jersey City

              ________________________________
[...]

              Ewald (Grammatica Critica Linguae Arabicae ง367) has it: Pronomina
              Suffixa
              Gesenius (Ausf�hrliches Lehrgeba�de, ง 56-57) has Pronomen Personale
              Separatum as against P.P. Suffixum.
              Bauer_Leander have Pronomen Suffixum as against "Selbstไndiges
              Personalpronomen, and similarly Jo�on (the French edition) and
              Brockelmann (Arabische Grammatik).
              That is where I stopped.
              Von Soden has "Pronominalsuffixe"/Selbstไndige Personalpronomina"
              Van der Merwe/Naud้/Kroeze (Reference Grammar) speak of "Pronominal
              Suffixes",
              As always, Noeldeke is most interesting: in his Syriac Grammar he has
              "Subjektsformen" der Pronomina, Enclitische Formen an Part. und
              Adjektiv (which we also have in post-biblical Hebrew),
              Possessivsuffixa and Objektsuffixa. But there is an adder under
              the grass, for suffixa is sc. pronomina! I suppose that is the origin
              of pronominalsuffixe and "Pronominal Suffixes" etc.

              Once again,

              A happy New Year. May 2011 help us forget 2010!

              Frank

              On 01/01/2011, at 11:57, R. Lehmann wrote:

              > Frank,
              > wouldn't that mean the the correct term could only be "SuffixED
              > pronoun"?
              > Actually I prefer pronominal suffix, esp. in contrast to
              > conjugational suffixes as are suggested in Ugaritic, where many
              > scholars even in German speak of Suffix Conjugation instead of
              > Afformativ Conjugation or the like. At least pronominal suffix works
              > much better when teaching Hebrew, Aramaic or Phoenician, at least in
              > Germany...
              > What's a suffix at all?
              >
              > Happy New Year,
              > Reinhard

            • Christophe Batsch
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                Chers amis du 1er janvier,
                il mes paraît utile de conserver la distinction entre le cas-sujet (pronom suffixe ou suffixé) et les cas objets (suffixe ou flexion pronominal-e).
                Les expressions du type "préformante" ou "afformante" seraient alors réservées aux agglutinations non pronominales.
                Bonne année à tous
                Christophe Batsch
                Prof d'hébreu et d'araméen
                Lille, Paris

                To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com

                In a linguistic discussion I would prefer "suffixed pronoun." In
                didactic discourse one uses whatever works.
                The terms I use are "object/dative/possessive suffix."
                The point is, I think, that the suffixed pronoun has the function of,
                and is exchangeable with an independent pronoun (or particle-pronoun)
                or a noun phrase in the same syntactic slot.
                It is not exchangeable with the endings of the suffixtenses, for they
                occupy a different slot (subject).
                Although, I tend to agree that in Akkadian the stative endings are
                "nominative suffixes".
                In Ugaritic/Phoenician/Hebrew/Aramaic/Arabic that is a different
                matter, although this view could (and should)
                be maintained for stative QaTiL/QaTuL/QaTaL (paris/parus).

                As to a suffix:
                affigo/suffigo have the part. affixus/suffixus (I looked it up),
                attached. So a suffix(ed) pronoun (pronomen suffixum) is identified as
                attachment.
                But it is not interchangeable with attached particles (enclitics).

                And now that I looked it up:
                Ewald (Grammatica Critica Linguae Arabicae ง367) has it: Pronomina
                Suffixa
                Gesenius (Ausf�hrliches Lehrgeba�de, ง 56-57) has Pronomen Personale
                Separatum as against P.P. Suffixum.
                Bauer_Leander have Pronomen Suffixum as against "Selbstไndiges
                Personalpronomen, and similarly Jo�on (the French edition) and
                Brockelmann (Arabische Grammatik).
                That is where I stopped.
                Von Soden has "Pronominalsuffixe"/Selbstไndige Personalpronomina"
                Van der Merwe/Naud้/Kroeze (Reference Grammar) speak of "Pronominal
                Suffixes",
                As always, Noeldeke is most interesting: in his Syriac Grammar he has
                "Subjektsformen" der Pronomina, Enclitische Formen an Part. und
                Adjektiv (which we also have in post-biblical Hebrew),
                Possessivsuffixa and Objektsuffixa. But there is an adder under
                the grass, for suffixa is sc. pronomina! I suppose that is the origin
                of pronominalsuffixe and "Pronominal Suffixes" etc.

                Once again,

                A happy New Year. May 2011 help us forget 2010!

                Frank

                On 01/01/2011, at 11:57, R. Lehmann wrote:

                > Frank,
                > wouldn't that mean the the correct term could only be "SuffixED
                > pronoun"?
                > Actually I prefer pronominal suffix, esp. in contrast to
                > conjugational suffixes as are suggested in Ugaritic, where many
                > scholars even in German speak of Suffix Conjugation instead of
                > Afformativ Conjugation or the like. At least pronominal suffix works
                > much better when teaching Hebrew, Aramaic or Phoenician, at least in
                > Germany...
                > What's a suffix at all?
                >
                > Happy New Year,
                > Reinhard

              • Douglas Petrovich
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                  Bob,

                  The prof I had for Middle and Late Egyptian at a well-established university, who also was trained in Demotic and Hieratic, consistently used "suffix pronoun" as opposed to "pronominal suffix", so it is no surprise to me what you experienced with this Demotist. This seems to be the preference among Egyptologists, and there are few things more powerful than inertia with an attitude.

                  And incidentally, and possibly non-coincidentally, this prof revealed his hatred of English grammar when once our discussion digressed from Egyptian grammar to English grammar. The amazing thing to see was his supreme gift at handling Egyptian grammar vs. his distain and lack of confidence when turning to English grammar.

                  Technically speaking, "suffix pronoun" features two nouns, and thus is grammatically incorrect in English. The only legitimate alternative would be to hyphenate the words ("suffix-pronoun"), which essentially is the cowardly way out. So, one is left to ask, "Is it a suffix, or is it a pronoun?" This is what has led several of our respondents to suggest "suffixed pronoun" as a viable alternative.

                  In reference to one of your other comments along these lines, I would suggest to you that the two grammatically acceptable choices ("suffix pronoun" not being one of them) are indeed completely interchangeable, and that there is NO matter of using one or the other to stress the pronoun or the noun. This is an artificial notion.

                  The only other matter worth mentioning is that the respondent who prefers "suffixed pronoun" likely reveals the "gut feeling" of most native English speakers who are neither familiar or comfortable with the established pronominal form for the word pronoun, which--in this case-happens to be the word "pronominal".

                  Why abandon the established form for the one chosen? Many of us are just not comfortable using what is so unfamiliar. Honestly, though, most of us do the same with a wide variety of other adjectives, as well. For example, we tend to say "participle form" over "participial form", and so on. This is just a lack of discipline leading to a dumbing down.

                  We, as academics, do not like to associate ourselves with a derogatory term such as "dumbing down", but the reality is that we also are guilty of this in numerous ways, despite our love for precision and erudition. Part of humility, however, is being willing to call a spade a spade, even when it may be self-incriminating.

                  Hoping this helps,

                  Doug Petrovich
                  Toronto, CA

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                    There is absolutely no reason not to use a noun-noun collocation in English! For
                    instance rye bread, arithmetic book. (In the latter you can see that it's two
                    nouns because "arithmetic" is pronounced with its noun stress aRITHmetic and not
                    its adjective stress arithMETic.) (Note also noun stress, not nominal stress;
                    adjective stress, not adjectival stress.) Compare physics textbook, which could
                    be either a physical textbook or a virtual textbook.

                    Note also that "pronoun suffix" was not considered in the original study -- cf.
                    gender suffix (not generic suffix), number suffix (not numeric(al) suffix).
                    Jersey City

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                      Am 01.01.2011 um 14:32 schrieb Peter T. Daniels:

                      > Germans writing in German (as opposed to dropping Latin phrases in) these days
                      > tend to use "Endung" for the conjugational affixes in the perfect and "Suffix"
                      > for the pronominal suffixes.

                      Amusing. At least myself never use "Endung", because it is in such an extent unspecific always someone will confuse it with anything that makes a word longer than its lexical entry (plural, locale, whatever you want). "Endung" in my opinion is entirely useless.
                      > "Afformative" is a Germanism in English, and I
                      > don't recall Dennis using "sufformative" and "preformative," but they seem
                      > equally foreign.

                      Sorry, but "Afformativ" (though it will turn to an Germansim in English - any problem?) sounds perfect in contrast to preformative ("Präformativ") as being the main formative element of the verbal conjugation attached pre- and accordingly after the root. Ok, the better would fit "Sufformative", but I am afraid it will be a long way for the term to be accepted, at least in German ("Präformativ" and "Sufformativ"? Sounds strange ... or better tosay "postformative"?).

                      > Eng. "affix" is the cover term for prefix, suffix, and infix; "ending" is
                      > usually a non-technical equivalent of "suffix" but the ending/suffix distinction
                      > could be convenient. It falls down, though, because "prefix," needed just as
                      > much in Semitic, has no "ending"-like counterpart.

                      Right. But practical language use has long since undermined etymology, at least in German, because there also is an (old) loan word "affigieren" which means "to attach something to (at the end)"...

                      Am 01.01.2011 um 15:27 schrieb Christophe Batsch:

                      > il mes paraît utile de conserver la distinction entre le cas-sujet (pronom suffixe ou suffixé) et les cas objets (suffixe ou flexion pronominal-e).
                      > Les expressions du type "préformante" ou "afformante" seraient alors réservées aux agglutinations non pronominales.

                      d'accord!

                      ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                        s.u.
                        Jersey City

                        ________________________________
                        Am 01.01.2011 um 14:32 schrieb Peter T. Daniels:

                        > Germans writing in German (as opposed to dropping Latin phrases in) these days

                        > tend to use "Endung" for the conjugational affixes in the perfect and "Suffix"

                        > for the pronominal suffixes.

                        Amusing. At least myself never use "Endung", because it is in such an extent
                        unspecific always someone will confuse it with anything that makes a word longer
                        than its lexical entry (plural, locale, whatever you want). "Endung" in my
                        opinion is entirely useless.
                        > "Afformative" is a Germanism in English, and I
                        > don't recall Dennis using "sufformative" and "preformative," but they seem
                        > equally foreign.

                        Sorry, but "Afformativ" (though it will turn to an Germansim in English - any
                        problem?)

                        Well, yes! German and English are different languages with more than two
                        centuries of separate development of philological and linguistic terminology.

                        sounds perfect in contrast to preformative ("Präformativ") as being the main
                        formative element of the verbal conjugation attached pre- and accordingly after
                        the root. Ok, the better would fit "Sufformative", but I am afraid it will be a
                        long way for the term to be accepted, at least in German ("Präformativ" and
                        "Sufformativ"? Sounds strange ... or better tosay "postformative"?).

                        > Eng. "affix" is the cover term for prefix, suffix, and infix; "ending" is
                        > usually a non-technical equivalent of "suffix" but the ending/suffix
                        >distinction
                        >
                        > could be convenient. It falls down, though, because "prefix," needed just as
                        > much in Semitic, has no "ending"-like counterpart.

                        Right. But practical language use has long since undermined etymology, at least
                        in German, because there also is an (old) loan word "affigieren" which means "to
                        attach something to (at the end)"...

                        That, you see, is precisely the problem. It's a false friend. "To affix" does
                        _not_ mean 'to attach at the end', but simply 'to attach'. You affix a postage
                        stamp to a letter, for instance.

                      • Robert M Whiting
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                          On Sat, 1 Jan 2011, Douglas Petrovich wrote:

                          > Technically speaking, "suffix pronoun" features two nouns, and thus is
                          > grammatically incorrect in English.

                          No, this is not true. Essentially, any English noun can be used as an
                          adjective (and vice versa). Indeed, some grammarians do not distinguish
                          noun and adjective at this level and subsume both under "substantives".
                          In any case, "noun" and "adjective" are function labels (not "functional
                          labels") and whether a given substantive functions as a noun or an
                          adjective depends entirely on its use in its own context. If you object
                          to "suffix pronoun" on grammatical grounds, then you must also object to
                          "brain damage", "heart disease", and "lung cancer" on grammatical grounds
                          because "brain", "heart", and "lung" are all clearly nouns. So it is the
                          attributive use of "suffix" in "suffix pronoun" that makes it an
                          adjective, not any immutable characterization assigned to it at birth.

                          "Suffix pronoun" is a morphological category in contradistinction to
                          "independent pronoun". As such, it serves a useful purpose in
                          classification systems, but outside of this function the concept is better
                          expressed by either "suffixed pronoun" or "pronominal suffix". I usually
                          avoid the classifcation problem by referring to "bound forms" or "free
                          forms" of the personal pronouns.

                          > The only legitimate alternative would be to hyphenate the words
                          > ("suffix-pronoun"), which essentially is the cowardly way out.

                          No, hyphenation (or conjoining) is used to indicate that the collocation
                          is a single stress unit rather than two stress units. It is the difference
                          between "black bird" and "blackbird". Here there is a dialectal preference
                          operating in that British English often writes a single stress unit as two
                          words while American English tends to hyphenate it. Similarly, words that
                          Americans would write as a single word the British tend to hyphenate.
                          Otherwise, one would not write an adjective-noun collation comprising two
                          stress units with a hyphen unless the entire unit were being used as an
                          adjective (e.g., "paintings of the seventeenth century", but
                          "seventeenth-century paintings").

                          > So, one is left to ask, "Is it a suffix, or is it a pronoun?"

                          Presumably, then, when encountering an expression such as "paper clip",
                          one is left to ask "is it a paper, or is it a clip?" -- is a "paper clip"
                          a clip for papers or is it a clip made out of paper. Such conumdrums as
                          "wood stove" or "picture window" must leave one completely
                          baffled, befuddled, and bewildered.

                          > This is what has led several of our respondents to suggest "suffixed
                          > pronoun" as a viable alternative.

                          No, what leads to the suggestion of "suffixed pronoun" is the fact that
                          while "suffix pronoun" is fine as a morphological classification or
                          category, once you use a suffix pronoun it becomes a suffixed pronoun. A
                          "suffix pronoun" is a pronoun that has the form of a suffix or can only be
                          used as a suffix. A "suffixed pronoun" is a pronoun that has been used as
                          a suffix. When speaking of morphological categories, "suffix pronoun" is
                          a quite acceptable term; when speaking of actual usage, the term "suffixed
                          pronoun" or "pronominal suffix" is usually more appropriate.

                          > In reference to one of your other comments along these lines, I would
                          > suggest to you that the two grammatically acceptable choices ("suffix
                          > pronoun" not being one of them) are indeed completely interchangeable,
                          > and that there is NO matter of using one or the other to stress the
                          > pronoun or the noun. This is an artificial notion.

                          In order to make sense of this I will assume that by "noun" in the
                          next-to-last sentence you meant "suffix".

                          I'm sorry, but this is hardly an "artificial notion". It is distiction
                          that that is fundamental to English grammar, and particularly syntax. A
                          noun is the name of something; as such it serves as the subject or object
                          of the verb. Almost all English sentences are about what the noun does or
                          has done to it. In any case, the noun is what is being talked about in an
                          English sentence that has both a noun and a verb. When one uses the
                          expression "suffix pronoun" or "suffixed pronoun" one is talking about
                          pronouns, because that's what the noun is; when one uses the expression
                          "pronominal suffix" one is talking about suffixes because that's what the
                          noun is. Now it is true that a "suffix(ed) pronoun" is a pronoun that has
                          the form of or is used as a suffix and that a "pronominal suffix" is a
                          suffix that represents a pronoun, so there is little distinction in the
                          meaning; but which one is more appropriate in any particular context
                          depends on whether you are talking about pronouns or suffixes. You seem
                          to have a very tenuous grasp on English grammar. Just out of curiosity,
                          what is your native language?

                          > The only other matter worth mentioning is that the respondent who
                          > prefers "suffixed pronoun" likely reveals the "gut feeling" of most
                          > native English speakers who are neither familiar or comfortable with the
                          > established pronominal form for the word pronoun, which--in this
                          > case-happens to be the word "pronominal".

                          I find this to be incomprehensible. The only assuption that allows it to
                          make sense is that for "established pronominal form" you meant
                          "established adjectival form", but that just yields a fairly long-winded
                          statement that most English speakers don't like the word "pronominal".
                          Since there is no evidence offered for the assertion that a majority of
                          native speakers don't like this word, it still makes no sense.

                          > Why abandon the established form for the one chosen? Many of us are just
                          > not comfortable using what is so unfamiliar. Honestly, though, most of
                          > us do the same with a wide variety of other adjectives, as well. For
                          > example, we tend to say "participle form" over "participial form", and
                          > so on. This is just a lack of discipline leading to a dumbing down.

                          Whether "participle form" or "participial form" is more appropriate
                          depends entirely on whether one is talking about participle forms or
                          participial forms. Similarly, it should also be noted that "pronoun
                          suffix" and "pronominal suffix" do not mean the same thing. A "pronominal
                          suffix" is a suffix used to express a pronoun while a "pronoun suffix" is
                          a suffix used with pronouns (in much the same way as a paper clip is a
                          clip used for papers).

                          Bob Whiting
                          whiting@...
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                            Actually, in Latin grammar the substantive and the adjective are the two kinds
                            of noun.
                            Jersey City

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                              Please, let me return to the Latin. The latin passive participle
                              suffixum means "attached",
                              "suffixed" if you want. In Noeldeke's usage it is shorthand for
                              "pronomen suffixum" or
                              suffix(ed) pronoun. The alternative "bound" or "free" form seems
                              preferable in linguistic
                              context.

                              Best regards,

                              Frank Polak