Re: [ANE-2] Re: Relative Popularity of Egyptology and Assyriology since 1800

  • gtosiris@mpx.com.au
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 18, 2010
      On 18 Dec 2010 at 18:51, Marc Cooper wrote:

      > My attempt to insert a file into a Yahoo post failed, so I uploaded
      > a .pdf of the table to our "Files" directory. You can access it
      > here:
      >

      > http://tinyurl.com/2d36td5
      [snip]

      Hi Marc,

      I find the tinyurl link does not work.

      Regards,
      Gary Thompson
      Australia
      (No academic affiliation.)
    • MarcC
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 18, 2010
        If the tinyurl link doesn't work, just go to the ANE-2 Yahoo web site, open the "Files" directory on the left, and find the table.

        Marc Cooper
        Missouri State

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 18, 2010
          Click on "Messages in this topic" near the end of the message and it takes you
          to the group's page; then click on "Files" at the left, and Marc's table is the
          last item. (The first one added since 2006.)

          On 18 Dec 2010 at 18:51, Marc Cooper wrote:

          > My attempt to insert a file into a Yahoo post failed, so I uploaded
          > a .pdf of the table to our "Files" directory. You can access it
          > here:
          >

          > http://tinyurl.com/2d36td5
          [snip]

          Hi Marc,

          I find the tinyurl link does not work.

          Regards,
          Gary Thompson
          Australia
          (No academic affiliation.)

          Messages in this topic (6)

        • Joan Griffith
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 18, 2010
            In searching for various items in Google Books, it does not seem that they
            show everything they claim is there. Some time ago, I was looking for
            something fairly old, so I thought it would show up at the end of the
            search, which appeared to be latest to oldest. However, the search ran out
            before the books did. I think Google goes on for 30 pages, at least that one
            did. But there appeared to be more since the page showed thousands of
            related books.

            i was wondering what else I could do to tease out well-hidden items.
            Usually I can find most things I look for, but this reminds me of the first
            time I was on Lexus-Nexus and decided to start with "murder" which called up
            a shocking bazillion search results. Does anyone have particular search
            strategies?

            I will most gratefully check out the Google Lab.

            Joan Griffith
            Independent

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 19, 2010
              Here are some strategies:

              In the left-hand menu, choose "Full view only." This will block everything less
              than 100 years old (except for a few items that may have special dispensation;
              some American Philosophical Society items still show up).

              If you're looking for a journal issue, find any occurrence of that journal and
              click "other editions." For a while, that brought up complete runs of journals
              in reverse chronological order. But that no longer happens; they now appear in
              indeterminate order.

              Sometimes -- I cannot tell when -- if you search a name, it offers you the
              options "books by" and "books mentioning" (or something like that).

              I have the impression that when a commercial publisher reprints an old item,
              they may pressure google to take it off google books, because some things
              formerly available appear no longer to be available.

              If something refuses to appear in books.google.com, then try things like
              books.google.de and books.google.fr. They seem to access the same copies of
              things as the American one, but they also seem to be able to get at things the
              American one can't.--

              In searching for various items in Google Books, it does not seem that they
              show everything they claim is there. Some time ago, I was looking for
              something fairly old, so I thought it would show up at the end of the
              search, which appeared to be latest to oldest. However, the search ran out
              before the books did. I think Google goes on for 30 pages, at least that one
              did. But there appeared to be more since the page showed thousands of
              related books.

              i was wondering what else I could do to tease out well-hidden items.
              Usually I can find most things I look for, but this reminds me of the first
              time I was on Lexus-Nexus and decided to start with "murder" which called up
              a shocking bazillion search results. Does anyone have particular search
              strategies?

              I will most gratefully check out the Google Lab.

              Joan Griffith
              Independent

              On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Peter T. Daniels <grammatim@...>wrote:

              > Click on "Messages in this topic" near the end of the message and it takes
              > you
              > to the group's page; then click on "Files" at the left, and Marc's table is
              > the
              > last item. (The first one added since 2006.)
              >
              > --
              > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@... <grammatim%40verizon.net>
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Trudy Kawami
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
                Of course we all say that WW I and WW II damaged scholarship, but this
                is an interesting angle with "hard" data. Could we take it a step
                further & say that Assyriology & Egyptology were seen as "modern" in the
                19th century, but now have a retro glow? What I have in mind is the
                success of the Indiana Jones series which relied on much earlier themes
                & imagery. Even the invasion of Iraq and the looting of the museum has
                not produced any updating of the themes.

                Since I lagged badly in keeping up with post this weekend, I'd better
                read all the rest before tripping over my own feet (or tongue).

                Trudy

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 20, 2010
                  What this data reflects depends on varid factors, eg, if the querry
                  retrieves the keywords from titles, or from any content of the books; if the
                  keywords appeared several times in the same book, does it counts as 1 or
                  n-times, etc. The keywords were linguistic, "Egyptian Hierogliphic" might
                  not fish out "Egyptology" in general. One needs to check other fields, and
                  best to compare to some field, whose popularity can be estimated by other
                  means.
                  I am not sure about a pre WW1 Golden age. Except for WW1-2 as noticed by
                  Trudy, the trend in general is of constant growth. It may reflect mainly
                  growth in academic production of books, not necessarily a "retro glow", or
                  popularity in the sense of a general public.
                  Raz Kletter

                  2010/12/20 Trudy Kawami <tkawami@...>

                  > Of course we all say that WW I and WW II damaged scholarship, but this
                  > is an interesting angle with "hard" data. Could we take it a step
                  > further & say that Assyriology & Egyptology were seen as "modern" in the
                  > 19th century, but now have a retro glow? What I have in mind is the
                  > success of the Indiana Jones series which relied on much earlier themes
                  > & imagery. Even the invasion of Iraq and the looting of the museum has
                  > not produced any updating of the themes.
                  >
                  > Since I lagged badly in keeping up with post this weekend, I'd better
                  > read all the rest before tripping over my own feet (or tongue).
                  >
                  > Trudy

                  Raz Kletter
                  Varsaallika 6a Tallinn 12013 Estonia