Discussion group: Historical weight standards

  • robtyenow
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2010
      I have created a Yahoo group for the discussion of historical weight standards. There is no active group discussing weight standards that I know of, so I hope those few who take an interest in the matter will join up and use the group to exchange ideas and information.

      It seems to me there is much confusion concerning the existence of ancient weight standards, and their accuracy. If I understand the situation correctly, then this matter is somewhat misleadingly represented in many academic texts. In my opinion this situation has been exacerbated by the misleading pronouncements of Farmer and Witzel on a couple of internet groups in the last few years.

      As a first topic I thought it might be useful to look at some of the basic questions we need to think about when interpreting very early weights from Babylonia and Harappa

      The group home page can be found here:

      Robert Tye, York, UK

      http://www.earlyworldcoins.com/bookshop