JHS - New Article: Nili Samet, “ 'The Tallest Man Cannot Reach He aven; the Broadest Man Cannot Co ver Earth' – Reconsidering the P roverb and its Biblical Parallel s"

  • ehud
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2010
      Dear all,

      I am glad to announce the recent publication of the following article and of a dozen of new reviews in the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures (http://www.jhsonline.org)

      Journal of Hebrew Scriptures - Volume 10: Article 18 (2010)

      Nili Samet, “'The Tallest Man Cannot Reach Heaven; the Broadest Man Cannot Cover Earth' – Reconsidering the Proverb and its Biblical Parallels"

      Abstract:

      An ancient Mesopotamian proverb states: "even the tallest man cannot reach heaven; even the broadest man cannot cover earth". This proverb, occurring in different contexts, periods and versions, expresses the limitedness of the human ability, physically as well as mentally. The proverb seems to stand at the background of several biblical passages, especially Deut 30:11–13; Amos 9:2–3; Job 11:8–9; Job 28:12–22; and Ps 139:8–10. This article seeks to re-examine the different manifestations of the proverb, and to trace the development of the topoi reflected in it, with a focus on their adaptation in the Hebrew Bible.

      To access the article directly please go to http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/Articles/article_146.pdf

      Regards,

      Ehud
      -----
      We are preparing the xml, hypertext version of JHS vol. 9.
      The printed version of volume 9 (2009) has been published. For information please go to
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/showproduct.aspx?ISBN=978-1-61143-004-2
      For information about the printed version of volume 8 (2008) please go to
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-56678-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-v.aspx

      For information about the other volumes of the journal, please go to:
      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-56678-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-hebrew-scriptures-v.aspx

      For information about the Logos version of the Journal (vols. 1-7), please go to http://www.logos.com/products/details/4336

      The Logos version of volume 9 of the journal is being prepared.

      Ehud Ben Zvi
      History and Classics
      University of Alberta
      2-28 HM Tory Building
      Edmonton AB Canada T6G 2H4

      ** This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Please contact me immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.**