JHS - New Article: David Frankel, El as the Speaking Voi ce in Psalm 82:6-8 and some newly published reviews

  • ehud
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2010
      Dear all,

      I am glad to announce the recent publication of the following article and of
      a dozen of new reviews in the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures

      (http://www.jhsonline.org)

      Journal of Hebrew Scriptures - Volume 10: Article 16 (2010)

      David Frankel, El as the Speaking Voice in Psalm 82:6–8

      Abstract:

      YHWH is usually understood to play two roles in Psalm 82: that of prosecutor
      of the gods (vv 2–5) and that of high judge who convicts the gods to death
      (vv 6–7). This article suggests that the role of the high judge is played
      not by YHWH but by El. YHWH serves as prosecutor of the gods in El's court.
      In this reading YHWH speaks only in vv 2-5. In vv 6-8 El offers his verdict,
      after hearing the testimony of YHWH against the gods. After sentencing the
      gods of his council to death (vv 6–7), El appoints YHWH to rule the world in
      their place (v 8).

      To access the article directly please go to
      http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/Articles/article_144.pdf

      ----

      Recently Published Reviews:

      1. Auld, Graeme A. and Erik Eynikel, Erik (eds), For and Against
      David: Story and History in the Books of Samuel (BETL, 232; Leuven: Brill,
      2010). (Reviewed by Sara Kipfer)

      2. Everson, A. Joseph and Hyun Chul Paul Kim (eds) ,The Desert Will
      Bloom: Poetic Visions in Isaiah (Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature,
      2009). (Reviewed by Paul L. Redditt)

      3. Lohr, Joel N., Chosen and Unchosen: Conceptions of Election in the
      Pentateuch and Jewish-Christian Interpretation (Siphrut, 2; Winona Lake:
      Eisenbrauns, 2009). (Reviewed by Paul S. Evans)

      4. Schüle, Andreas, Die Urgeschichte (Genesis 1–11) (ZBK, 1.1; Zurich:
      TVZ, 2009). (Reviewed by Karolien Vermeulen)

      To access JHS reviews directly please go to
      http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/JHS/reviews_vol.html

      We are currently working on the xml version of volume 9. We hope to be able
      to add this (additional) hypertext version to the site soon.

      Regards,

      Ehud

      -----

      The printed version of volume 9 (2009) by Gorgias Press will be at the SBL
      meeting. It is a massive volume of 972 pages.

      For information about the volume, please go to

      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/bookshop/p-57974-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-on-he
      brew-scriptures-vi.aspx

      For information about other volumes of the journal, please go to:

      http://www.gorgiaspress.com/BOOKSHOP/pc-56678-10-ben-zvi-ehud-perspectives-o
      n-hebrew-scriptures-v.aspx

      For information about the Logos version of the Journal (vols. 1-7), please
      go to http://www.logos.com/products/details/4336

      The Logos version of volume 8 of the journal is being prepared.

      Ehud Ben Zvi
      History and Classics

      University of Alberta
      2-28 HM Tory Building
      Edmonton AB Canada T6G 2H4

      ** This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is
      addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged
      information. Please contact me immediately if you are not the intended
      recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
      relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
      should be deleted or destroyed.**