Bronze Age Baetyls

  • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
      I would be most appreciative if anyone on the list could provide
      some bibliography on the use of baetyls in the Bronze Age Levant.

      Many thanks in advance,
      Stephanie Budin
      Rutgers University, Camden
    • Lisbeth S. Fried
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 18, 2011
        Did you get any response to this?

        I would also be interested.

        Liz Fried

        Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph.D.
        Department of Near Eastern Studies
        and the Frankel Center for Judaic Studies
        University of Michigan
        202 S. Thayer -- Room 4111
        Ann Arbor, MI 48104
        www.lizfried.com <http://www.lizfried.com/>

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 18, 2011
          No replies on-list, but this is what I managed to come up with for
          the Levant and Cyprus:

          De Moor, J.C. 1995. "Standing Stones and Ancestor Worship." UF 27, 1?20.

          Dietrich, M., O. Lorenz, and W. Mayer. 1989. "Sikkanum 'Betyle'." UF
          21, 133?139.

          Hutter, V. 1993. "Kultstelen und Baityloi: Die Ausstrahlung eines
          syrischen religiösen Phänomens nach Kleinasien und Israel." In B.
          Janowski, K. Koch, and G. Wilhelm (eds.) _Religionsgeschichtliche
          Beziehungen zwischen Kleinasien, Nordsyrien und dem Alten Testament_.
          Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht. Göttingen, 87?108.

          Karagoerghis, V. 1992. "Miscellanea from Late Bronze Age Cyprus."
          Levant XXIV, 212. (Section I is "On 'baetyls'" in Cyprus).

          Mettinger, T.N.D. 1995. _No Graven Image? Israelite Aniconism in Its
          Ancient Near Eastern Context_. Almqvist & Wiksell International.
          Stockholm.

          Webb, J.M. 1999. "Baetyls and Stele." In _Ritual Architecture,
          Iconography and Practice in the Late Cypriot Bronze Age_. Paul
          Åströms förlag, 182?184.

          Article in DDD.

          All Best,
          Stephanie

          Quoting "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried@...>:

          > Did you get any response to this?
          >
          > I would also be interested.
          >
          > Liz Fried
          >

          > Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph.D.
          > Department of Near Eastern Studies
          > and the Frankel Center for Judaic Studies
          > University of Michigan
          > 202 S. Thayer -- Room 4111
          > Ann Arbor, MI 48104
          > www.lizfried.com <http://www.lizfried.com/>
          >

          > _____

          "All the characters, human or otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain
          of the faerie folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on
          their existence. Or lack thereof." -Neil Gaiman
        • Lisbeth S. Fried
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 18, 2011
            Thank you very much!

            Liz

            _____

            Quoting "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried@... <mailto:lizfried%40umich.edu>
            >:

            > Did you get any response to this?
            >
            > I would also be interested.
            >
            > Liz Fried
            >

            > Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph.D.
            > Department of Near Eastern Studies
            > and the Frankel Center for Judaic Studies
            > University of Michigan
            > 202 S. Thayer -- Room 4111
            > Ann Arbor, MI 48104
            > www.lizfried.com <http://www.lizfried.com/>
            >

            > _____
            >
            > From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>
            > I would be most appreciative if anyone on the list could provide
            > some bibliography on the use of baetyls in the Bronze Age Levant.
            >
            > Many thanks in advance,
            > Stephanie Budin
            > Rutgers University, Camden

            "All the characters, human or otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only
            certain
            of the faerie folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on
            their existence. Or lack thereof." -Neil Gaiman

          • judith weingarten
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 20, 2011
              Stephanie Budin and Liz Fried recently asked for baetyl bibliography.
              May I add one quite old but essential paper on Minoan baetyls and one
              very recent one on Anatolian and Cypriot stones:

              //P.W. Warren, Of /Baetyls/. Opuscula Atheniensia 18, 1990: 193-205.

              A.M. Carstens, Huwasi Rocks, Baityloi, and Open Air Sanctuaries in
              Karia, Kilikia, and Cyprus, KAAM YAYINLARI
              OLBA 14, 2008 (PUBLICATIONS OF THE RESEARCH CENTER OF CILICIAN
              ARCHAEOLOGY, MERSIN UNIVERSITY).

              All good wishes,

              Judith Weingarten

              -----
              Visit Zenobia's blog at Empress of the East
              <http://judithweingarten.blogspot.com>
            • Lisbeth S. Fried
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 20, 2011
                Great! This is perfect! Thanks.

                Liz

                (Gee, 1990 is already "quite old" ..)

                Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph.D.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 21, 2011
                  I think we should also mention the rather important book on betyles at Mari (being on the cusp between Mesopotamia and the 'West'):

                  Durand, Jean-Marie, Florilegium marianum VIII. Le culte des pierres et les monuments commémoratifs en Syrie amorrite (Mémoires de N.A.B.U. 9/Supplément à NABU 2005 no.2, Paris: SEPOA), 2005.

                  best,
                  Jonathan Stokl
                  University College Londonn
                • Lisbeth S. Fried

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 26, 2011
                      I don't have it on hand, but you should also consult the Dictionary of Deities and Demons (DDD). It will have a discussion and bibliography, too. I discuss Baetyls very briefly in my book on the Tel Dan Inscription, but it refers mainly to Iron Age usage.

                      GEORGE ATHAS
                      (currently in Cape Town, South Africa)