Re: [ANE-2] Was King David a descendant of Neandertals?

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2010
      From: "eliot braun" <eliotbraun@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:38 AM
      To: "ANE" <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [ANE-2] Was King David a descendant of Neandertals?

      > According to the article this link leads to, that is a distinct
      > possibility.
      >
      > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/04/AR2010100405700.html?referrer=emailarticle
      >
      > Eliot Braun, Ph D
      > Sr. Fellow WF Albright Institute of Archaeological Research, Jerusalem
      > Associate Researcher Centre de Recherche Français de Jérusalem
      > PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
      > Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

      There are several point mutations on the MC1R (melanocortin-1 receptor) gene
      on Chromosome 16 that produces red hair and associated fair skin and
      freckles. That allele is considered to have been a trait of Neanderthals
      and some believe came into the gene pool from Neanderthals. It gets kind of
      complicated since the point mutation in the MC1R gene of Neanderthals is not
      the same as the several in modern humans. The Arg151Cys allele of this
      mutation is carried among some Ashkenazi Jews but we cannot for certain
      confirm there was a David, no less a red haired David.

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX