The donkeys of Karum Kanesh

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2010
      Rummaging in my brain to answer a query from a zoological colleague, I
      cannot find a specific reference to the Kultepe KK texts that mention
      the "black donkeys of Assur" that formed the trade caravans between
      Assur & Kanesh. I would be most grateful if someone could point me in
      the right direction (other than north to Anatolia!)

      Trudy S. Kawami, Ph.D.

      Director of Research

      Arthur M. Sackler Foundation

      461 East 57th Street

      New York, NY 10022

      www.arthurmsacklerfdn.org

    • Robert M Whiting
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2010
        On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Trudy Kawami wrote:

        > Rummaging in my brain to answer a query from a zoological colleague, I
        > cannot find a specific reference to the Kultepe KK texts that mention
        > the "black donkeys of Assur" that formed the trade caravans between
        > Assur & Kanesh. I would be most grateful if someone could point me in
        > the right direction (other than north to Anatolia!)

        Look in CAD I/J, p. 113 s.v ime:ru f) qualifications. Plenty of Kultepe
        references to black donkeys but none that mention Assur specifically.

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...
      • Emanuel O. Pfoh
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2010
          Dear Trudy,
          try
          -C. Michel, Innaya dans les tablettes paleoassyriennes (Paris: Éditions Recherche sur les Civilisations, 1991).
          And,   -M. Ichisar, Les archives cappadociennes du marchand Imdilum (Paris: ADPF, 1981).
          Best regards,   Emanuel Pfoh National University of La Plata Argentina

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2010
            Dear Trudy,

            the most recent summary on the subject I know is an Appendix "Pack-Donkey" in:

            J.G.Dercksen, Old Assyrian Institutions, PIHANS XCVIII, Istanbul 2004, pp.
            255-86.

            best regards

            Dr. Rafal Kolinski
            Institute of Prehistory
            Adami Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland