Re: [ANE-2] Reading revolutions

  • R. Lehmann
    Message 1 of 42 , Oct 4, 2010
      > Thoroughly refuted, see Lingua Posnaniensis 42 (2000): 43-55.

      Refuted, of course, but obviously not by Gelb himself, who died in 1985.
      (though I have no access here to LPos)

      > What is "Winkeralphabet"? In English, "semaphore" is sending visual signals over
      > a distance, usually by an alphabetic code using signal flags, or Morse code from
      > a beacon, or similar schemes.

      There you got it!
      As precaution, I repeat: Admittedly, I was a little bit kidding.

      Reinhard GL

      ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
      Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
      Academic Director
      Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
      FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
      Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
      D-55099 Mainz
      Germany
      lehmann@...
      http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de
      http://www.ev.theologie.uni-mainz.de/297.php
      Subsidia et Instrumenta Linguarum Orientis (SILO):
      http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/182.php
      10th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH):
      http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php

    • Graham Hagens
      Message 42 of 42 , Oct 27, 2010
        Peter - thanks for your insightful responses to what Brian called by 'enigmatic' note.
        It is probably time to stop before I get into more trouble.
        But just a couple of remarks:

        Peter Daniels wrote:

        >And a Chinese person tells us that he can _get a general idea of_ a Japanese
        >newspaper article even though he knows no Japanese. In neither direction are
        >they _reading_ in the other language.

        Precisely my point: they are not reading the other language, they are absorbing the information in their own.
        As you know various trades achieve this all the time by means of technical symbolism.
        In my profession I am frequently required to understand chemical data embedded within a text written in any one of a number of languages with which I am unfamiliar.
        It is surprisingly easy to do.
        In the case of mathematics even more so.  Marshall McLuhan famously stated that the medium is the message: in technical literature symbolism becomes the medium.

        >>This carries the implication that humans would have kept looking for something
        >>like the alphabet for a long long time had it not emerged when it did.

        >Sorry, I cannot fathom this statement. What is "something like the alphabet"
        >that could have been "looked for"? Seems like _you're_ suggesting some sort of
        >superiority for an alphabet!

        Exactly.  And why not?
        Don't you think it's a little odd that such an idea might appear so out to lunch that an exclamation mark is required?
        What if we could design a system which would allow us all to communicate in our own languages and have others anywhere in the world absorb the information in theirs?

        Anyway, as I said.  Probably time to stop, we're a long way from the ANE now

        Graham Hagens
        Hamilton, ON