sumerian proverbs

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2010
      list folk,
      i have in my library alster's proverbs of ancient sumeria.
      that collection, unfortunately, lacks an english index. why i do not know.

      at any rate, i'm very keen to find sumerian proverbs which reference
      fathers. anyone know specific pages i can check?

      thanks

      --
      +++++++
      Jim West, ThD
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2010
        In looking up proverbs dealing with children and family, I found a
        fair amount around #s 140-160:

        Sumerian proverb (1.146):
        Marry a wife according to your choice!
        Have children to your heart?s desire!

        (1.147):
        May Inanna make a hot-limbed wife lie by you!
        May she bestow upon you broad-armed sons!
        May she seek out for you a place of happiness!

        (1.160):
        Marrying is human.
        Getting children is divine.

        Hope this helps,
        Stephanie Budin, Rutgers, Camden

        Quoting Jim West <jwest@...>:

        > list folk,
        > i have in my library alster's proverbs of ancient sumeria.
        > that collection, unfortunately, lacks an english index. why i do not know.
        >
        > at any rate, i'm very keen to find sumerian proverbs which reference
        > fathers. anyone know specific pages i can check?
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > --
        > +++++++
        > Jim West, ThD
        > Petros, TN

        "Maybe we can link up with someone who's meditating and download
        enlightenment!" -Tachikoma
      • Charles E. Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2010
          See the Sumerian Proverb collections at The Electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature (ETCSL)

          http://etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk/

          -Chuck Jones-
          ISAW - NYU