Re: [ANE-2] 6,200 BC seal found in Turkey

  • Ian Onvlee
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2010
      Hi Douglas,

      Why does the date 6200 BC amaze you so much? Jericho for instance dates even to
      8000-7600 BC.

      Regards,
      Ian Onvlee

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2010
        Yes, I wouldn't be so dismissive either. The proposed date is consistent
        with those of Catalhoyuk, which exhibits comparable social and
        technological complexity.

        I'm sure much was lost in translation of the article, between, perhaps, a
        bit of nationalist taint and the Google Translate style English. For
        example, "administrator" may not be justified.

        Michael F. Lane
        Univ. Maryland Balto. County

        > Dear Doug,
        >
        > I have less doubts about it than you have perhaps, although I wonder how
        > the date was established, probably solely on 14C (which is still out by
        > quite a margin for such early dates). But the seal really does look
        > ancient and could be from c. 5000 BC or so.
        >
        > Best
        >
        > Peter van der Veen, PhD
        > Postdoctoral studies at the University of Mainz
        >

        > --
        > Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
        > Arbeitsgruppe fΓΌr Biblische ArchΓ€ologie/ABA
        > Postdoctoral studies at
        > Trinity College Bristol
        > Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz
        >
        > Reinhardstrasse 31
        > D-73614 Schorndorf
        > Germany
        > Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)

        Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
        Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
        Ancient Studies Department
        Fine Arts Building, Room 452
        1000 Hilltop Circle
        Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
        Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660