Re: [ANE-2] 6,200 BC seal found in Turkey

  • Ian Onvlee
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2010
      Hi Douglas,

      Why does the date 6200 BC amaze you so much? Jericho for instance dates even to
      8000-7600 BC.

      Regards,
      Ian Onvlee

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 2010
        Dear Doug,

        I have less doubts about it than you have perhaps, although I wonder how the date was established, probably solely on 14C (which is still out by quite a margin for such early dates). But the seal really does look ancient and could be from c. 5000 BC or so.

        Best

        Peter van der Veen, PhD
        Postdoctoral studies at the University of Mainz

        --
        Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
        Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA

        Reinhardstrasse 31
        D-73614 Schorndorf
        Germany
        Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
      • Michael F. Lane
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2010
          Yes, I wouldn't be so dismissive either. The proposed date is consistent
          with those of Catalhoyuk, which exhibits comparable social and
          technological complexity.

          I'm sure much was lost in translation of the article, between, perhaps, a
          bit of nationalist taint and the Google Translate style English. For
          example, "administrator" may not be justified.

          Michael F. Lane
          Univ. Maryland Balto. County

          > Dear Doug,
          >
          > I have less doubts about it than you have perhaps, although I wonder how
          > the date was established, probably solely on 14C (which is still out by
          > quite a margin for such early dates). But the seal really does look
          > ancient and could be from c. 5000 BC or so.
          >
          > Best
          >
          > Peter van der Veen, PhD
          > Postdoctoral studies at the University of Mainz
          >

          > --
          > Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
          > Arbeitsgruppe fΓΌr Biblische ArchΓ€ologie/ABA
          > Postdoctoral studies at
          > Trinity College Bristol
          > Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz
          >
          > Reinhardstrasse 31
          > D-73614 Schorndorf
          > Germany
          > Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)

          Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
          Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
          Ancient Studies Department
          Fine Arts Building, Room 452
          1000 Hilltop Circle
          Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
          Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660