anthropology and the bible: critical perspectives

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17 10:25 AM
    • Antonio Lombatti
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21 6:15 AM
        in Izmir:

        "The seal is dated back to 6,200 B.C. It is evident that the seal
        belonged to an administrator. This bull-shaped seal is one of the
        oldest seals ever unearthed in Anatolia. "

        The rest can be read here:
        http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=seal-of-8000-years-unearthed-in--2010-09-20

        Antonio Lombatti

        ----------------------------------
        http://www.antoniolombatti.it
        Dottore in Storia della Chiesa
        Deputazione di Storia Patria
        Parma, Italia

      • Douglas Petrovich
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21 7:40 AM
          Antonio,

          I haven't read the article yet, but my initial comment is one of amazement at the date of 6200, which goes far back into the prehistorical period. I have my strong doubts on the dating, and I wonder what irrefutable evidence there might be to confirm this date. Having said that, I will get to the article, though the burden of proof will be on the writer to convince me.

          Douglas Petrovich
          Toronto, Canada

        • Trudy Kawami
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 21 9:12 AM
            If you look at the photo provided, you can see that the "seal" has a
            rosette-like pattern & a stumpy handle. It's certainly NOT bull-shaped.
            It also look a lot like stamps that may have been used to imprint
            patterns on cloth or leather, or even on baked goods. Sometimes pictures
            are more informative than words.

            Trudy Kawami, NYC

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 21 1:41 PM
              Hi Douglas,

              Why does the date 6200 BC amaze you so much? Jericho for instance dates even to
              8000-7600 BC.

              Regards,
              Ian Onvlee

              ________________________________
              I haven't read the article yet, but my initial comment is one of amazement at
              the date of 6200, which goes far back into the prehistorical period. I have my
              strong doubts on the dating, and I wonder what irrefutable evidence there might
              be to confirm this date. Having said that, I will get to the article, though the
              burden of proof will be on the writer to convince me.

              Douglas Petrovich
              Toronto, Canada

            • Peter van der Veen
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 21 11:43 PM
                Dear Doug,

                I have less doubts about it than you have perhaps, although I wonder how the date was established, probably solely on 14C (which is still out by quite a margin for such early dates). But the seal really does look ancient and could be from c. 5000 BC or so.

                Best

                Peter van der Veen, PhD
                Postdoctoral studies at the University of Mainz

                --
                Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                Arbeitsgruppe für Biblische Archäologie/ABA

                Reinhardstrasse 31
                D-73614 Schorndorf
                Germany
                Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)
              • Michael F. Lane
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 22 3:38 AM
                  Yes, I wouldn't be so dismissive either. The proposed date is consistent
                  with those of Catalhoyuk, which exhibits comparable social and
                  technological complexity.

                  I'm sure much was lost in translation of the article, between, perhaps, a
                  bit of nationalist taint and the Google Translate style English. For
                  example, "administrator" may not be justified.

                  Michael F. Lane
                  Univ. Maryland Balto. County

                  > Dear Doug,
                  >
                  > I have less doubts about it than you have perhaps, although I wonder how
                  > the date was established, probably solely on 14C (which is still out by
                  > quite a margin for such early dates). But the seal really does look
                  > ancient and could be from c. 5000 BC or so.
                  >
                  > Best
                  >
                  > Peter van der Veen, PhD
                  > Postdoctoral studies at the University of Mainz
                  >

                  > --
                  > Dr. Pieter Gert van der Veen
                  > Arbeitsgruppe fΓΌr Biblische ArchΓ€ologie/ABA
                  > Postdoctoral studies at
                  > Trinity College Bristol
                  > Joh. Gutenberg University of Mainz
                  >
                  > Reinhardstrasse 31
                  > D-73614 Schorndorf
                  > Germany
                  > Tel. (+49) (0) 7181-989118 (office)

                  Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
                  Mycenaean Landscapes Project (MYLAPRO)
                  Ancient Studies Department
                  Fine Arts Building, Room 452
                  1000 Hilltop Circle
                  Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
                  Tel. +1-410-455-6265 / Fax +1-410-455-1660