Re: [ANE-2] Re: how did ancient scribes write?

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 11 2:36 AM
      On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

      > ... except there's something wrong with the url in the link -- it breaks
      > between the # and the !, and copy-pasting the whole thing into ther box
      > deletes the business end of it and I get a log-in-to-facebook page.

      To deal with discontinuous (broken over two or more lines) URLs, first
      copy the first part of the URL (the first line) and paste it in the
      location box of your browser. Then go back and copy the next part of the
      URL (the next line) and paste it at the end of the previous part in the
      browser's location box. Repeat until the entire URL is in the browser's
      location box and then hit the go button. If you copy-paste the entire
      thing, you will copy-paste a carriage return and the browser will try to
      find the URL up to the point of the carriage return.

      On the position of the stylus for writing cuneiform tablets, I have
      collected a few illustrations and uploaded them to the groups Photo page
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/photos/album/1182997375/pic/list).

      The wall painting from Tell Ahmar shows the correct position of the
      stylus. Note the difference of the position of the stylus and of the
      pen/brush being used by the beardless scribe to write on leather. The
      shaft of the stylus comes out under the hand on the right side of the hand
      after having crossed the palm; the shaft of the pen/brush comes out on the
      left side of the hand passing between the thumb and the forefinger just as
      one would hold a pen or pencil.

      The modern illustrations show the right and wrong way to hold the stylus.
      How much of the stylus protrudes is probably a matter of personal
      preference, but certainly enough to keep the fingers clear of the surface
      of the tablet while allowing the writer to position the writing face
      accurately. When I write I generally have about half an inch of stylus
      protruding. The forefinger rests on the edge of the stylus opposite the
      writing face, making the stylus essentially an extension of the
      forefinger. This gives the writer better control of the positioning of
      the writing face and allows the writer to apply just enough pressure to
      create an impression of the proper depth. How much pressure is needed
      depends on the consistency of the clay, but usually very little is needed.

      For most tablets (barring large, multi-column tablets), the tablet was
      held in the left hand the stylus in the right. The direction of the
      stylus was controlled by movement of the wrist and forearm, not by
      switching the grip on the stylus, which remained constant. The tablet
      would also be rotated with the wrist to make it easier to align the stylus
      with the tablet for wedges of different orientations.

    • fdscalf
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 4, 2011
        Without reviving the entire discussion, the CDLI has just produced a video which is relevant to this topic:

        http://cdli.ucla.edu/tools/cdlifiles/movies/cdli_specialcollections.html

        Foy Scalf
        Oriental Institute
        scalffd@...