RE: [ANE-2] how did ancient scribes write?

  • Ross Sinclair Caldwell
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 9, 2010
      I can't judge the pen and hieroglyph style, but the cuneiform one seems wrong. He is holding the stylus like a pen, when it should be held like it is shown in pictures, .... difficult to describe, but kind of like a knife, with the tip held between the thumb and the first and second phalanges of the forefingers, and the shaft of the stylus cradled in the palm, under the three other fingers. "Overhand" might be a description - you push into the clay, you don't write like with a pen. The tablet is also cupped in the hand in pictures, not laying flat like a piece of paper.

      I'm an amateur, almost-NELC student. I carved my own stylus out of a chopstick, as it appears the scribe here has done, but much finer, and looked at images of cuneiform scribes to copy their postures. My technique for learning basic cuneiform was to inscribe Syllabary A hundreds of times, saying the sounds as I pushed them in the clay.

      Ross Caldwell
      B├ęziers, France

      > list folk may enjoy this demonstration video (and might even find it
      > useful for students)
      >
      > http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/video/video.php?v=699801829626
      >
      > via chuck jones on facebook.

    • fdscalf
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 4, 2011
        Without reviving the entire discussion, the CDLI has just produced a video which is relevant to this topic:

        http://cdli.ucla.edu/tools/cdlifiles/movies/cdli_specialcollections.html

        Foy Scalf
        Oriental Institute
        scalffd@...