Re: [ANE-2] SV: Reading revolutions

  • gtosiris@mpx.com.au
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
      On 27 Aug 2010 at 16:11, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

      > I have not heard of this variant of the theory, but at the 1990
      > ICANAS (= ICO)
      > in Toronto, no less than three scholars -- Cyrus�Gordon,
      > Edwin�Pulleyblank, and
      > Victor Mair -- gave talks asserting that the 30? calendrical? signs
      > in China are
      > borrowed from the Ugaritic (type) "alphabet." I'm not aware that any
      > of them
      > ever published more than the few pages in the Proceedings of the
      > ICANAS,�if even
      > there�....

      Hi Peter,

      The reference for Victor Mair is:

      Victor Mair, "West Eurasian and North African Influences on the Origins of Chinese Writing," in Luk, Bernard H. K., ed., Contacts Between Cultures: Eastern Asia: Literature and Humanities Volume 3 (Edwin Mellen Press, 1992), 335-338.

      Also, his student Julie Wei published:

      Julie Lee Wei, Correspondences Between the Chinese Calendar Signs and the Phoenician Alphabet. (Sino-Platonic Papers 94, 1999)

      Regards,

      Gary Thompson
      Melton West, Australia
      (No academic affiliation)

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
        Heh. I wish he'd ever told me about Wei's monograph.

        It's not yet among the SPPs freely available at
        http://sino-platonic.org/index.html%c2%a0(but mine, from the next year, is).--
        Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
        Jersey City