3,500 year old bracelet- a comment

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
      Eliot,

      I was the Moderator who approved the posting in its second version. I
      assumed that readers would respond based on the photo of the bracelet
      whether Robert Deutsch was accurate in his characterization of the
      knowledge of the excavator. I guess I was wrong, & it is my fault.

      Nonetheless, I am puzzled that you yourself admit that you can't tell if
      the bracelet is Bronze Age or Electric Age. There is a significant
      difference - IF the original identification is inaccurate. So let's
      examine the artifact itself. As much as we wish to keep the list on a
      rational, scholarly plane, we cannot, as we are presently set up,
      restrict comments based on the profession - or lack of one - of the
      writer.

      Trudy S. Kawami, Ph.D.

      Director of Research

      Arthur M. Sackler Foundation

      461 East 57th Street

      New York, NY 10022

      www.arthurmsacklerfdn.org

    • Joe Zias
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
        Unfortunately the dealer Deutsch may be right in this instance, for the wrong
        reasons. Archaeologists today are prevented from removing burials due to
        religious pressure from the religious extremists and the threat of physical
        violence. As a result they seldom see material commonly found in cemeteries,
        such as bracelets coming from Islamic burials and other contexts. Dealers on
        the other hand, of which Deutsch is one, are familiar with Islamic jewelery as
        see this material daily in their dealings with grave robbers, from which they
        get the bulk of their material. They in effect keep the looters in business and
        in turn destroy the cultural heritage they were once taught to protect and
        respect. Just another way of former archaeologists to 'pimp off' the ancient
        near east.

        Joe

        Joe Zias www.joezias.com
        Anthropology/Paleopathology

        Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
        Jerusalem, Israel

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2010
          Hi, That's not the point. I supspect Deutsch is correct in his evaluation. It's just the way he stated it. I consider that "flaming". There are ways to do things and ways not to.

          He has an axe to grind and he's a dealer, big time; makes mucho gelt from selling patrimony and quite possibly forgeries (this I believe in my heart of hearts). That being said, he need not have added the word "shame". I'm ashamed that he's a countryman and a supposed archaeologist. He heaps shame on us.
          Best wishes,

          Eliot Braun, Ph D
          PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
          Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096