Re: 3,500-year-old bracelet...

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
      This is a poor and unprofessional classification of a modern 50-80 years old Bedouin brass bracelet as Middle Bronze Age 2nd millennium BC
      "Canaanite" artifact !

      This is outrageous and indicates the level of knowledge possessed by the
      Antiquities Authority so called "archaeologists".

      This is a Shame to the profession.

      Robert Deutsch, Tel Aviv
    • eliot braun
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
        I have no idea whether the bracelet is truly of the Late Bronze Age, but I also wonder how a pronouncement by a known antiquities dealer that it is a modern artifact made it onto this site. This object at least has the possibility of being authenticized as welll as coming from an ancient context! The type of comment by Deutsch is, so far as I'm concerned, flaming! In the instance of this bracelet we need not take some seller's word that one or another very expensive object that will bring the seller some astonishing profit is authentic, although the object has no known provenience. I, for one, would be loathe to attempt to heap shame on a colleague who has excavated the object and has no profit motive for promoting its identification as a true antiquity. Shame on the antiquities dealer who brings shame on all of us for selling looted objects that destroy our archaeological heritage!

        Eliot Braun, Ph D
        PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
        Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096