RE: [ANE-2] British Museum numbers

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
      Go to the top; try John Russell.
      Trudy Kawami
      PS What was accession date?

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Peter T. Daniels [mailto:grammatim@...]
      Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 11:26 AM
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] British Museum numbers

      The internets turned up a complete copy of Christopher Walker's Index
      volume to
      CT 1-50, from which we see that (by 1974) very few tablets bearing that
      accession date had been published (in that series).

      I googled both the date number and the eventual number and got lots of
      hits for
      catalog numbers of a wide variety of things for sale, but no further
      information
      on the BM's group of objects.

      Irving doesn't answer emails ... --
      Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
      still Jersey City
      From: Trudy Kawami <tkawami@...>
    • Charles E. Jones
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
        The BM object registry is online. You can search it here
        http://www.britishmuseum.org/research.aspx

        or since I already have done that, I can tell you that there
        are nice legible photographs of the inscribed surfaces of the
        tablet; that it was acquired in 1898, purchased from Selim
        Homsy & Co ("This family firm sold a number of cuneiform
        tablets to The British Museum between 1889 and 1902, during at
        least part of the time of which they were based in London.
        Correspondence to Budge from D. Messayeh and N. Ghanima
        [jointly signed] of Baghdad and dated 1894, confirms this as
        they refer to Selim Homsy as "of your city", and clearly use
        Homsy as a London distributor. Roger Homsy (q.v.) and K. Homsy
        (q.v.) are members of the same family business during the
        1930s and 1970s respectively"), and that the BM has 5302
        registered objects from that source; and more...

        -Chuck Jones-
        NY

        > The internets turned up a complete copy of
        > Christopher Walker's Index volume to
        > CT 1-50, from which we see that (by 1974) very few
        > tablets bearing that
        > accession date had been published (in that series).
        >
        > I googled both the date number and the eventual
        > number and got lots of hits for
        > catalog numbers of a wide variety of things for
        > sale, but no further information
        > on the BM's group of objects.
        >
        > Irving doesn't answer emails ... --
        > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
        > still Jersey City

      • Joe Zias
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
          As I was curator with the IAA responsible for antiquities from ca. WW I  and before up to 1948 (British Mandate period) I'm a bit familiar with the British system. All objects were assigned 2-3 numbers, the first being the object as it was brought in from the field and then all objects from that venue/excavation were registered under one number called the R. number which was the yearly registry. E.g R.123 Hundreds of objects could have the same R. number. Once the object was cataloged it was given a final number with the first two digits being the year in which it was cataloged, which in many cases was years later. E.g an object with the number 25.123 was object 123 cat. in 1925 which could have been excavated in 1920 or before. The Brits had it down to a 'science' in terms of accuracy with their cataloging.

          Joe Zias www.joezias.com
          Anthropology/Paleopathology

          Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
          Jerusalem, Israel

          --- On Fri, 7/2/10,

          From: Trudy Kawami <tkawami@...>
          To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Friday, July 2, 2010, 11:39 AM

          From: Trudy Kawami <tkawami@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
            Thank you. (So much for google.)

            No suggestion of where it might have come from -- with over 5000 items from that
            source acquired in just a few years, it might be possible to tell from colophons
            in other tablets some likely locations. --
            Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
              February 16, 1898. (98-2-16).--
              Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...