RE: [ANE-2] British Museum numbers

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2 8:10 AM
      Peter,

      The British Museum number (BM #) is the accession number & strikes me as
      remarkably low. Items from Ur excavated in the 1930s have numbers in the
      120000 series. BUT the kicker is that in the more distant past objects
      did not necessarily receive BM accession numbers the day they entered
      the museum (current practice in most museums). Also before the renaming
      of the Middle East Dept (was West Asiatic Antiquities), numbers often
      carried a WA prefix.

      98-2-16,690 looks like a field number which is normally assigned to each
      item as it is uncovered. One might expect a complicated number like
      that for a large cache of tablets. There is no regular system used by
      all excavators now & the past was even more varied. Much of the "minor"
      Nimrud material from Layard's excavations still bears just "registration
      numbers" -N.1, N.2, etc.

      The BM's WA collections are relatively searchable on line. You could try
      that or just contact the ME Dept directly & ask.

      Trudy Kawami

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2 8:26 AM
        The internets turned up a complete copy of Christopher Walker's Index volume to
        CT 1-50, from which we see that (by 1974) very few tablets bearing that
        accession date had been published (in that series).

        I googled both the date number and the eventual number and got lots of hits for
        catalog numbers of a wide variety of things for sale, but no further information
        on the BM's group of objects.

        Irving doesn't answer emails ... --
        Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
        still Jersey City
        >The British Museum number (BM #) is the accession number & strikes me as
        >remarkably low. Items from Ur excavated in the 1930s have numbers in the
        >120000 series. BUT the kicker is that in the more distant past objects
        >did not necessarily receive BM accession numbers the day they entered
        >the museum (current practice in most museums). Also before the renaming
        >of the Middle East Dept (was West Asiatic Antiquities), numbers often
        >carried a WA prefix.
        >
        >98-2-16,690 looks like a field number which is normally assigned to each
        >item as it is uncovered. One might expect a complicated number like
        >that for a large cache of tablets. There is no regular system used by
        >all excavators now & the past was even more varied. Much of the "minor"
        >Nimrud material from Layard's excavations still bears just "registration
        >numbers" -N.1, N.2, etc.
        >
        >The BM's WA collections are relatively searchable on line. You could try
        >that or just contact the ME Dept directly & ask.
        >
        >Trudy Kawami
        >
        >________________________________

      • Trudy Kawami
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2 8:39 AM
          Go to the top; try John Russell.
          Trudy Kawami
          PS What was accession date?

          From: Trudy Kawami <tkawami@...>
        • Charles E. Jones
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2 9:01 AM
            The BM object registry is online. You can search it here
            http://www.britishmuseum.org/research.aspx

            or since I already have done that, I can tell you that there
            are nice legible photographs of the inscribed surfaces of the
            tablet; that it was acquired in 1898, purchased from Selim
            Homsy & Co ("This family firm sold a number of cuneiform
            tablets to The British Museum between 1889 and 1902, during at
            least part of the time of which they were based in London.
            Correspondence to Budge from D. Messayeh and N. Ghanima
            [jointly signed] of Baghdad and dated 1894, confirms this as
            they refer to Selim Homsy as "of your city", and clearly use
            Homsy as a London distributor. Roger Homsy (q.v.) and K. Homsy
            (q.v.) are members of the same family business during the
            1930s and 1970s respectively"), and that the BM has 5302
            registered objects from that source; and more...

            -Chuck Jones-
            NY

            > The internets turned up a complete copy of
            > Christopher Walker's Index volume to
            > CT 1-50, from which we see that (by 1974) very few
            > tablets bearing that
            > accession date had been published (in that series).
            >
            > I googled both the date number and the eventual
            > number and got lots of hits for
            > catalog numbers of a wide variety of things for
            > sale, but no further information
            > on the BM's group of objects.
            >
            > Irving doesn't answer emails ... --
            > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
            > still Jersey City

          • Joe Zias
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2 10:06 AM
              As I was curator with the IAA responsible for antiquities from ca. WW I  and before up to 1948 (British Mandate period) I'm a bit familiar with the British system. All objects were assigned 2-3 numbers, the first being the object as it was brought in from the field and then all objects from that venue/excavation were registered under one number called the R. number which was the yearly registry. E.g R.123 Hundreds of objects could have the same R. number. Once the object was cataloged it was given a final number with the first two digits being the year in which it was cataloged, which in many cases was years later. E.g an object with the number 25.123 was object 123 cat. in 1925 which could have been excavated in 1920 or before. The Brits had it down to a 'science' in terms of accuracy with their cataloging.

              Joe Zias www.joezias.com
              Anthropology/Paleopathology

              Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
              Jerusalem, Israel

              --- On Fri, 7/2/10,

              From: Trudy Kawami <tkawami@...>
              To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Friday, July 2, 2010, 11:39 AM

              From: Trudy Kawami <tkawami@...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2 10:21 AM
                Thank you. (So much for google.)

                No suggestion of where it might have come from -- with over 5000 items from that
                source acquired in just a few years, it might be possible to tell from colophons
                in other tablets some likely locations. --
                Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2 10:23 AM
                  February 16, 1898. (98-2-16).--
                  Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...