Ottoman-Jewish art (Off-topic)

  • larry stillman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2010
      Mod's note: We are approving this somewhat off-topic post because some list members may be able to help. please keep the discussion off-list.
      TK

      I bought a pretty reproduction painting of Ezra the scribe before the
      people of Israel in Ottoman-Persian style, painted onto an old
      handwritten Ottoman page. I bought it in the book-dealers' nook
      (Sahaflar Carsisi) in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul (where there are some
      pretty extraordinary, genuine things on sale at extraordinary prices as
      well) .

      The picture is accompanied by a Hebrew caption copied by a non-Hebrew
      reading person from the book of Ezra if I am correct. I know these
      sorts of things are reproduced in Istanbul (I saw one workshop where
      quite delicate work is done), but I'd like to know the original source
      of the painting. I know that there are few famous Ottoman books with
      biblical stories, but I don't have access to these.

      Can anyone help? I can send a copy of the picture offline.
      Larry Stillman, PhD
      Centre for Community Networking Research, Monash University www.ccnr.net www.webstylus.net
      fax 61 3 9903 1077
      larry.stillman@... larryjhs@...