Re: [ANE-2] Re: Wadi el-Hol editio princeps?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2010
      (1) You overlooked my scare quotes; and

      (2) When something has a name, that name sticks, even if it becomes outdated by later discoveries. We still use "Indo-European" (chosen on the basis of the known geographic extent of the phylum) even though we now have "Tocharian" from well beyond India. (Scare quotes because that Greek ethnonym isn't, in fact, what the speakers of the two languages called themselves -- like "Hittite" used for Nesite.)--
      Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...
      Jersey City