Re: [ANE-2] Re: Achaemenid period creativity

  • Don Mills
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 17, 2010
      Brian Colless (whose postings I always enjoy, especially as a fellow Kiwi.  Hey, we thrashed Slovakia, 1-all!) wrote:

      -----<snip>-----
      Archaizing language can be used in sacred contexts, as happened in
      ancient Egypt, for example (and in the Book of Mormon).
      -----<snip to end>-----

      At risk of being off-topic: the language of the good ol' St James Version ( :-) ) of the Bible, published 1611, was also archaising.

      (The language of the Revised Version was unintelligible.)

      -- Don Mills,
      London

    • jgibson000@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 17, 2010
        On 6/17/2010 2:46 PM, Don Mills wrote:
        > Brian Colless (whose postings I always enjoy, especially as a fellow Kiwi. Hey, we thrashed Slovakia, 1-all!) wrote:
        >
        > -----<snip>-----
        > Archaizing language can be used in sacred contexts, as happened in
        > ancient Egypt, for example (and in the Book of Mormon).
        > -----<snip to end>-----
        >
        > At risk of being off-topic: the language of the good ol' St James Version ( :-) ) of the Bible, published 1611, was also archaising.

        *St *James version???

        New one on me, and I thought I knew most of the English translations!

        Jeffrey

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.