Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks-non-profit

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2010
      Here is a short item taken from the public record on the non-prophet. Note 1999 when BAR grossed over 5.5 million dollars and gave back to the world of archaeology in terms of grants but $4,000 dollars. Having once come from the world of accounting and having my mid-life crisis at age 23, we used to call this 'creative accounting'

      Table 1              Biblical Archaeology Society
       Nonprofit public charity 501 (c) (3)

      Financial data currently available from the IRS (www.guidestar.com) (I
      would like to remind readers that nothing here is illegal in terms of nonprofit organizations)

      Total *As a % of Private total
      Year  Revenue    Grants  CEO Salary  Contributions  revenue

      1998  5,584,868 7,300 (6)  0.001   50,572        205,000
      1999   5,648,850   4,000 (5)  0.0007  186,521        162,000
      2000  5,991,137  150,390(20) 2.5      222,572       215,000
      2001   5,208,154   96,350(17)  1.8     243,579        198,000
      2002   4,537,481    8,500(12)  0.001    205,639        150,000
      2003 4,644,424    7,109 (8)  0.001     63,537        162,000

      Total 31,614,914  273,649      0.008   972,420      1,092,000

      [Ed. note: To view this chart properly you may have to select "Use Fixed Width Font" from the options available to the right of the message text in your browser window. If the "Use Fixed Width Font" option is not visible, click on "Show Message Option" in the space to the right of the message text. RMW]

      Joe Zias www.joezias.com
      Anthropology/Paleopathology

      Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
      Jerusalem, Israel

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 24, 2010
        Oh, Jim.

        But if, as has been suggested by some here, "biblical archaeology" is a dead discipline, why begrudge Shanks being called its icon?

        R. Brian Roberts
        Charlotte, NC

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
          If one looks at the amt of money that BAR/Shanks gives back to the profession upon which it was found, the icon becomes more of an I con. In those gravy yrs of the James Ossuary in which BAR grossed nearly 6,000,000 that's dollars for that year, he gave back but 4,000 in grants to the profession. Less than 1/10 of 1% , not back for a non-profit. Source of info. guidestar. More on this later.

          Joe

          From: Jim West <jwest@...>

          To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

          What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

          archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

          On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

          > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the characterization in the article.

          > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=global-home

          > Eliot Braun, Ph D

          +++++++

          Jim West, ThD

        • Lisbeth S. Fried
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
            Nice title Joe.

            I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years.

            From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit.

            Liz Fried

            _____

            From: Jim West <jwest@... <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> >

            To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

            Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

            What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

            archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

            On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

            > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical
            archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the
            characterization in the article.

            http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=glo
            bal-home

            > Eliot Braun, Ph D

            +++++++

            Jim West, ThD

          • David Hall
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
              From what I gathered from PaleoJudaica online; Hershel Shanks earned a $162,000 salary during 2003.  Some lawyers earned seven figure salaries.  Hershel Shanks was licensed to practice law before he started Biblical Archaeology Review.  I understand some of Joe Zias' ethical objections to BAR's alleged publication of forged artifacts.  BAR is an organization devoted to publication, not necessarily a source of large grants for scholarly research.  The gross receipts of an organization are not the same as what is paid in salaries to the executive officers.

              The US judicial system prosecuted officers of charitable organization charged with misuse of funds or fraud.  United Way of Alexandria, Virginia is the largest charity in the US paying over $450,000 per year to their CEO.  Twice United Way officers have been prosecuted for misuse of funds.

              David Q. Hall
              Falls Church, Virginia

              I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years.

              From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit.

              Liz Fried

              _____

              From: Jim West <jwest@... <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> >

              To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

              Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

              What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

              archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

              On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

              > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical
              archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the
              characterization in the article.

              http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=glo
              bal-home

              > Eliot Braun, Ph D

              +++++++

              Jim West, ThD

            • Joe Zias
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
                BAR over the years has reaped enormous profits, in fact the avg. salary of a non-profit CEO in the US when this study was completed  was 86,000 whereas Shanks annual salary according to tax records was around 200,000 with another 60-67,000 paid to himself for use of the building. In fact, those one page ads for antiquities dealers, in color, were selling for 8,000 per page while many years the amount of money from BAS given to scholars totally, was less than the amt he received from a dealer for a one page ad ! When one looks at the amount of money given to scholars by BAR in terms of gross revenue and then compares it to the Archaeological Institute of America, the result is shocking. For every dollar from BAS given to scholars the figure from the AIA is 46 ! Both are non-profits. BAS financial record is a classic case of what is known in the profession
                as 'creative accounting' . More of this highly profitable non-prophet will follow....

                Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                Anthropology/Paleopathology

                Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                Jerusalem, Israel

                I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years.

                From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit.

                Liz Fried

                _____

                From: Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...

                <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> >

                To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

                From: Jim West <jwest@... <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> >

                To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

                Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

                What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

                archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

                On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

                > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical

                archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the

                characterization in the article.

                http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=glo

                bal-home

                > Eliot Braun, Ph D

                +++++++

                Jim West, ThD

              • zmbq
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2010
                  I don't understand how Hershel Shank's financial situation has anything to do with the ancient near east. Is he making money 2,500 years ago? Is someone studying non-profit organizations of the iron age?

                  Who cares?

                  Itay Zandbank
                  Israel