17th Int. Congress of Ancient Bronzes - Call for Papers

  • The Hellenistic Ceramics Workshop
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2010
      XVIIth INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF ANCIENT BRONZES
      May 21-25, 2011 / Izmir, TURKEY
      The Art of Bronzes in Anatolia and the Eastern Mediterranean from
      Protogeometric to Early Byzantine Periods (10th century B.C. to 7th
      century A.D.)

      Dear Colleagues,

      We are pleased to announce that the XVIIth International Congress of
      Ancient Bronzes will take place on May 21-25, 2011 in Izmir, Turkey.

      This congress encourages dialogue among Turkish, European, and north
      American scholars in bronze archaeology of the Eastern Mediterranean, and
      proposes to offer a firm base for future research on bronzes in Turkey. We
      invite contributions by scholars and graduate students from disciplines
      related to this subject to discuss issues concerning ancient bronzes in
      the Mediterranean basin. Proposals may be for 10- to 20-minute papers, as
      well as for poster presentations.

      One goal of this congress is to present the less well-known bronze
      materials from Anatolia and other neighboring countries in the east.
      Presentations from the other parts of Classical world are also welcome. We
      hope to address questions of production, subject matter, function,
      chronology, and trade. Papers may deal with archaeology, technological
      history, history of art, philology, cultural anthropology. Of particular
      interest are reports from excavations in Asia Minor and the rest of the
      Eastern Mediterranean yielding Greek and Roman bronzes along with other
      stratified finds that will help to build a more precise chronology for the
      bronzes.

      Papers may be delivered in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish,
      Greek or Turkish, but English is the preferred language. Please fill out
      the form below regarding your intention to participate and send it to Dr.
      Ergun LAFLI. Submit an abstract of no more than 300 words and attached
      registration form before February 1, 2011 to <ergun.lafli@...>, or
      by fax to +90.232.453 41 88. Abstracts of the congress will be available
      at the congress, and proceedings of the congress will be published in
      2013.

      The three-day congress will be combined with two days of post-congress
      excursions on May 24 and 25 to three archaeological museums with large
      bronze collections in Izmir as well as to Ephesus and its museum.

      A congress website will soon be established, and participants will be
      informed.

      The participation fee of 40 euro (=60 $US; 80 TL), to be paid on site,
      will include coffee and refreshments at breaks, and post-congress
      excursions, but not abstracts, publication of the proceedings, or your
      accommodation and travel expenses. Hotels available for the congress
      participants will be announced in a future Circular.

      The organizers encourage colleagues from all parts of the world to attend.
      Please alert your research community either by forwarding our e-mail, or
      by printing this circular and displaying it in your institution.

      We hope that you will be able to join us at the Sabanci Cultural Center,
      and we look forward to seeing you in Izmir!

      Contact Addresses for the Congress

      XVIIth International Bronze Congress
      c/o Doc. Dr. Ergun LAFLI
      Dokuz Eylul Universitesi
      Fen-Edebiyat Fakultesi
      Arkeoloji Bolumu
      Tinaztepe/Kaynaklar Yerleskesi
      Buca

      TR-35160 Izmir, TURKEY.
      Fax: +90.232.453 41 88.
      E-mail: <ergun.lafli@...>.

      Scientific Organizing Committee: Doc. Dr. Ergun LAFLI (DEU), Prof. Ilter
      UZEL (Cukurova University, Adana) and Dr. Maurizio BUORA (Udine).