Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks

Expand Messages
  • Joe Zias
    Shanks, liberator of the scrolls   in his own words, and an icon as well.  I d have to say Shanks continually presents himself as “liberating the scrolls
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Shanks, 'liberator of the scrolls'  in his own words, and an icon as well.  I'd have to say Shanks
      continually presents himself as “liberating the scrolls from a handful of
      scholars and making them available to all scholars.”  lets hear what Geza Vermes a true icon of the DSSpublished back in 1995  on the subject of liberating the scrolls- “Bill Moffett, the ‘liberator of the
      scrolls’,(emphasis mine) died on 20 February 1995 at the age of sixty-two.”

       Having worked in the IAA and been one of the curators in charge of the scrollerly, I'd have to say that despite his self designation, he  was but a minor figure, more of a nuisance than anything in terms of 'liberating the scrolls.  In fact the amount of money he gave to scholars working on the scrolls was in and of itself pitiful. I once wrote a long article on the financial situation of the highly profitable non-prophet (sic) which was not published as those in charge got cold feet, I'll try again this week and see if it will run as it's an expose taken from the public record as to how he has been able to hoodwink the public about how dire the financial situation of BAR is. It will be an eyeopener if the site has the courage to run it...

      Joe Zias www.joezias.com
      Anthropology/Paleopathology

      Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
      Jerusalem, Israel

      --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Jim West <jwest@...> wrote:

      From: Jim West <jwest@...>
      Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM







       









      What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

      archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...



      On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

      > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the characterization in the article.

      >

      > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=global-home

      >

      > Eliot Braun, Ph D

      +++++++

      Jim West, ThD






















      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Joe Zias
      Here is a short item taken from the public record on the non-prophet. Note 1999 when BAR grossed over 5.5 million dollars and gave back to the world of
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        Here is a short item taken from the public record on the non-prophet. Note 1999 when BAR grossed over 5.5 million dollars and gave back to the world of archaeology in terms of grants but $4,000 dollars. Having once come from the world of accounting and having my mid-life crisis at age 23, we used to call this 'creative accounting'





        Table 1              Biblical Archaeology Society
         Nonprofit public charity 501 (c) (3)

                   

        Financial data currently available from the IRS (www.guidestar.com) (I
        would like to remind readers that nothing here is illegal in terms of nonprofit organizations)

         
        Total *As a % of Private total
        Year  Revenue    Grants  CEO Salary  Contributions  revenue    

        1998  5,584,868 7,300 (6)  0.001   50,572        205,000
        1999   5,648,850   4,000 (5)  0.0007  186,521        162,000
        2000  5,991,137  150,390(20) 2.5      222,572       215,000
        2001   5,208,154   96,350(17)  1.8     243,579        198,000
        2002   4,537,481    8,500(12)  0.001    205,639        150,000
        2003 4,644,424    7,109 (8)  0.001     63,537        162,000

        Total 31,614,914  273,649      0.008   972,420      1,092,000

        [Ed. note: To view this chart properly you may have to select "Use Fixed Width Font" from the options available to the right of the message text in your browser window. If the "Use Fixed Width Font" option is not visible, click on "Show Message Option" in the space to the right of the message text. RMW]

        Joe Zias www.joezias.com
        Anthropology/Paleopathology

        Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
        Jerusalem, Israel

        --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Peter T. Daniels <grammatim@...> wrote:

        From: Peter T. Daniels <grammatim@...>
        Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks
        To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 11:32 AM

        It appears to be factually accurate, and his controversial status, incompetence, and inappropriate influence are hinted at. But letters to the editor of the New York Times are welcome and might even be published.

         

        --

        Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

        Jersey City 



        >

        >From: eliot braun <eliotbraun@...>
        >To: ANE <ANE-2@yahoogroups.com>
        >Sent: Wed, June 16, 2010 8:10:27 AM
        >Subject: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks
        >

        >This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the characterization in the article.

        >http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=global-home
        >
        >Eliot Braun, Ph D
        >Sr. Fellow WF Albright Institute of Archaeological Research, Jerusalem
        >Associate Researcher Centre de Recherche Français de Jérusalem
        >PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
        >Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096



        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Brian Roberts
        Oh, Jim. But if, as has been suggested by some here, biblical archaeology is a dead discipline, why begrudge Shanks being called its icon? R. Brian Roberts
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 24, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          Oh, Jim.

          But if, as has been suggested by some here, "biblical archaeology" is a dead discipline, why begrudge Shanks being called its icon?

          R. Brian Roberts
          Charlotte, NC


          --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Jim West <jwest@...> wrote:

          From: Jim West <jwest@...>
          Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks
          To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM







           









          What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

          archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...



          On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

          > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the characterization in the article.

          >

          > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=global-home

          >

          > Eliot Braun, Ph D

          +++++++

          Jim West, ThD

























          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Joe Zias
          If one looks at the amt of money that BAR/Shanks gives back to the profession upon which it was found, the icon becomes more of an I con. In those gravy yrs of
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            If one looks at the amt of money that BAR/Shanks gives back to the profession upon which it was found, the icon becomes more of an I con. In those gravy yrs of the James Ossuary in which BAR grossed nearly 6,000,000 that's dollars for that year, he gave back but 4,000 in grants to the profession. Less than 1/10 of 1% , not back for a non-profit. Source of info. guidestar. More on this later.

            Joe

            Joe Zias www.joezias.com
            Anthropology/Paleopathology

            Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
            Jerusalem, Israel

            --- On Thu, 6/24/10, Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...> wrote:

            From: Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...>
            Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks
            To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010, 2:41 PM







             









            Oh, Jim.



            But if, as has been suggested by some here, "biblical archaeology" is a dead discipline, why begrudge Shanks being called its icon?



            R. Brian Roberts

            Charlotte, NC



            --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Jim West <jwest@...> wrote:



            From: Jim West <jwest@...>

            Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks

            To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM



             



            What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical



            archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...



            On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:



            > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the characterization in the article.



            >



            > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=global-home



            >



            > Eliot Braun, Ph D



            +++++++



            Jim West, ThD



            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






















            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Lisbeth S. Fried
            Nice title Joe. I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years. From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit. Liz Fried _____ From:
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              Nice title Joe.



              I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years.

              From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit.



              Liz Fried





              _____

              From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe
              Zias
              Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 9:55 AM
              To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks and BAR- Icon or I con of Biblical
              Archaeology ?





              If one looks at the amt of money that BAR/Shanks gives back to the
              profession upon which it was found, the icon becomes more of an I con. In
              those gravy yrs of the James Ossuary in which BAR grossed nearly 6,000,000
              that's dollars for that year, he gave back but 4,000 in grants to the
              profession. Less than 1/10 of 1% , not back for a non-profit. Source of
              info. guidestar. More on this later.

              Joe

              Joe Zias www.joezias.com
              Anthropology/Paleopathology

              Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
              Jerusalem, Israel

              --- On Thu, 6/24/10, Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...
              <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

              From: Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...
              <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> >
              Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks
              To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010, 2:41 PM



              Oh, Jim.

              But if, as has been suggested by some here, "biblical archaeology" is a dead
              discipline, why begrudge Shanks being called its icon?

              R. Brian Roberts

              Charlotte, NC

              --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Jim West <jwest@...
              <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> > wrote:

              From: Jim West <jwest@... <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> >

              Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks

              To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

              Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM



              What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

              archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

              On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

              > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical
              archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the
              characterization in the article.

              >

              >
              http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=glo
              bal-home

              >

              > Eliot Braun, Ph D

              +++++++

              Jim West, ThD

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • David Hall
              From what I gathered from PaleoJudaica online; Hershel Shanks earned a $162,000 salary during 2003.  Some lawyers earned seven figure salaries.  Hershel
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                From what I gathered from PaleoJudaica online; Hershel Shanks earned a $162,000 salary during 2003.  Some lawyers earned seven figure salaries.  Hershel Shanks was licensed to practice law before he started Biblical Archaeology Review.  I understand some of Joe Zias' ethical objections to BAR's alleged publication of forged artifacts.  BAR is an organization devoted to publication, not necessarily a source of large grants for scholarly research.  The gross receipts of an organization are not the same as what is paid in salaries to the executive officers. 
                 
                The US judicial system prosecuted officers of charitable organization charged with misuse of funds or fraud.  United Way of Alexandria, Virginia is the largest charity in the US paying over $450,000 per year to their CEO.  Twice United Way officers have been prosecuted for misuse of funds. 
                 
                David Q. Hall
                Falls Church, Virginia
                 
                --- On Fri, 6/25/10, Lisbeth S. Fried <lizfried@...> wrote:


                From: Lisbeth S. Fried <lizfried@...>
                Subject: RE: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks and BAR- Icon or I con of Biblical Archaeology ?
                To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Friday, June 25, 2010, 12:50 PM


                 



                Nice title Joe.

                I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years.

                From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit.

                Liz Fried

                _____

                From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe
                Zias
                Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 9:55 AM
                To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks and BAR- Icon or I con of Biblical
                Archaeology ?

                If one looks at the amt of money that BAR/Shanks gives back to the
                profession upon which it was found, the icon becomes more of an I con. In
                those gravy yrs of the James Ossuary in which BAR grossed nearly 6,000,000
                that's dollars for that year, he gave back but 4,000 in grants to the
                profession. Less than 1/10 of 1% , not back for a non-profit. Source of
                info. guidestar. More on this later.

                Joe

                Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                Anthropology/Paleopathology

                Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                Jerusalem, Israel

                --- On Thu, 6/24/10, Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...
                <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                From: Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...
                <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> >
                Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks
                To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010, 2:41 PM

                Oh, Jim.

                But if, as has been suggested by some here, "biblical archaeology" is a dead
                discipline, why begrudge Shanks being called its icon?

                R. Brian Roberts

                Charlotte, NC

                --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Jim West <jwest@...
                <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> > wrote:

                From: Jim West <jwest@... <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> >

                Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks

                To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

                Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

                What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

                archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

                On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

                > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical
                archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the
                characterization in the article.

                >

                >
                http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=glo
                bal-home

                >

                > Eliot Braun, Ph D

                +++++++

                Jim West, ThD

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]











                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Joe Zias
                BAR over the years has reaped enormous profits, in fact the avg. salary of a non-profit CEO in the US when this study was completed  was 86,000 whereas Shanks
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  BAR over the years has reaped enormous profits, in fact the avg. salary of a non-profit CEO in the US when this study was completed  was 86,000 whereas Shanks annual salary according to tax records was around 200,000 with another 60-67,000 paid to himself for use of the building. In fact, those one page ads for antiquities dealers, in color, were selling for 8,000 per page while many years the amount of money from BAS given to scholars totally, was less than the amt he received from a dealer for a one page ad ! When one looks at the amount of money given to scholars by BAR in terms of gross revenue and then compares it to the Archaeological Institute of America, the result is shocking. For every dollar from BAS given to scholars the figure from the AIA is 46 ! Both are non-profits. BAS financial record is a classic case of what is known in the profession 
                  as 'creative accounting' . More of this highly profitable non-prophet will follow....

                  Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                  Anthropology/Paleopathology

                  Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                  Jerusalem, Israel

                  --- On Fri, 6/25/10, Lisbeth S. Fried <lizfried@...> wrote:

                  From: Lisbeth S. Fried <lizfried@...>
                  Subject: RE: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks and BAR- Icon or I con of Biblical Archaeology ?
                  To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Friday, June 25, 2010, 12:50 PM







                   









                  Nice title Joe.



                  I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years.



                  From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit.



                  Liz Fried



                  _____



                  From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe

                  Zias

                  Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 9:55 AM

                  To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com

                  Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks and BAR- Icon or I con of Biblical

                  Archaeology ?



                  If one looks at the amt of money that BAR/Shanks gives back to the

                  profession upon which it was found, the icon becomes more of an I con. In

                  those gravy yrs of the James Ossuary in which BAR grossed nearly 6,000,000

                  that's dollars for that year, he gave back but 4,000 in grants to the

                  profession. Less than 1/10 of 1% , not back for a non-profit. Source of

                  info. guidestar. More on this later.



                  Joe



                  Joe Zias www.joezias.com

                  Anthropology/Paleopathology



                  Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem

                  Jerusalem, Israel



                  --- On Thu, 6/24/10, Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...

                  <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> > wrote:



                  From: Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...

                  <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> >

                  Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks

                  To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010, 2:41 PM



                  Oh, Jim.



                  But if, as has been suggested by some here, "biblical archaeology" is a dead

                  discipline, why begrudge Shanks being called its icon?



                  R. Brian Roberts



                  Charlotte, NC



                  --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Jim West <jwest@...

                  <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> > wrote:



                  From: Jim West <jwest@... <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> >



                  Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks



                  To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>



                  Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM



                  What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical



                  archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...



                  On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:



                  > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical

                  archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the

                  characterization in the article.



                  >



                  >

                  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=glo

                  bal-home



                  >



                  > Eliot Braun, Ph D



                  +++++++



                  Jim West, ThD



                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






















                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • zmbq
                  I don t understand how Hershel Shank s financial situation has anything to do with the ancient near east. Is he making money 2,500 years ago? Is someone
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 27, 2010
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I don't understand how Hershel Shank's financial situation has anything to do with the ancient near east. Is he making money 2,500 years ago? Is someone studying non-profit organizations of the iron age?

                    Who cares?

                    Itay Zandbank
                    Israel

                    --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Joe Zias <joezias@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > BAR over the years has reaped enormous profits, in fact the avg. salary of a non-profit CEO in the US when this study was completed  was 86,000 whereas Shanks annual salary according to tax records was around 200,000 with another 60-67,000 paid to himself for use of the building. In fact, those one page ads for antiquities dealers, in color, were selling for 8,000 per page while many years the amount of money from BAS given to scholars totally, was less than the amt he received from a dealer for a one page ad ! When one looks at the amount of money given to scholars by BAR in terms of gross revenue and then compares it to the Archaeological Institute of America, the result is shocking. For every dollar from BAS given to scholars the figure from the AIA is 46 ! Both are non-profits. BAS financial record is a classic case of what is known in the profession 
                    > as 'creative accounting' . More of this highly profitable non-prophet will follow....
                    >
                    > Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                    > Anthropology/Paleopathology
                    >
                    > Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                    > Jerusalem, Israel
                    >
                    > --- On Fri, 6/25/10, Lisbeth S. Fried <lizfried@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > From: Lisbeth S. Fried <lizfried@...>
                    > Subject: RE: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks and BAR- Icon or I con of Biblical Archaeology ?
                    > To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
                    > Date: Friday, June 25, 2010, 12:50 PM
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >  
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Nice title Joe.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Liz Fried
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > From: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ANE-2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe
                    >
                    > Zias
                    >
                    > Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 9:55 AM
                    >
                    > To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
                    >
                    > Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks and BAR- Icon or I con of Biblical
                    >
                    > Archaeology ?
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > If one looks at the amt of money that BAR/Shanks gives back to the
                    >
                    > profession upon which it was found, the icon becomes more of an I con. In
                    >
                    > those gravy yrs of the James Ossuary in which BAR grossed nearly 6,000,000
                    >
                    > that's dollars for that year, he gave back but 4,000 in grants to the
                    >
                    > profession. Less than 1/10 of 1% , not back for a non-profit. Source of
                    >
                    > info. guidestar. More on this later.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Joe
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                    >
                    > Anthropology/Paleopathology
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                    >
                    > Jerusalem, Israel
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > --- On Thu, 6/24/10, Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...
                    >
                    > <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > From: Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...
                    >
                    > <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> >
                    >
                    > Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks
                    >
                    > To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>
                    >
                    > Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010, 2:41 PM
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Oh, Jim.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > But if, as has been suggested by some here, "biblical archaeology" is a dead
                    >
                    > discipline, why begrudge Shanks being called its icon?
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > R. Brian Roberts
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Charlotte, NC
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Jim West <jwest@...
                    >
                    > <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> > wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > From: Jim West <jwest@... <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Subject: Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical
                    >
                    > archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the
                    >
                    > characterization in the article.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > >
                    >
                    > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=glo
                    >
                    > bal-home
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > > Eliot Braun, Ph D
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > +++++++
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Jim West, ThD
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.