Re: [ANE-2] Herschel Shanks

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2010
      What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical
      archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

      On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:
      > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the characterization in the article.
      >
      > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=global-home
      >
      > Eliot Braun, Ph D
      +++++++
      Jim West, ThD
    • Joe Zias
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2010
        Shanks, 'liberator of the scrolls'  in his own words, and an icon as well.  I'd have to say Shanks
        continually presents himself as “liberating the scrolls from a handful of
        scholars and making them available to all scholars.”  lets hear what Geza Vermes a true icon of the DSSpublished back in 1995  on the subject of liberating the scrolls- “Bill Moffett, the ‘liberator of the
        scrolls’,(emphasis mine) died on 20 February 1995 at the age of sixty-two.”

         Having worked in the IAA and been one of the curators in charge of the scrollerly, I'd have to say that despite his self designation, he  was but a minor figure, more of a nuisance than anything in terms of 'liberating the scrolls.  In fact the amount of money he gave to scholars working on the scrolls was in and of itself pitiful. I once wrote a long article on the financial situation of the highly profitable non-prophet (sic) which was not published as those in charge got cold feet, I'll try again this week and see if it will run as it's an expose taken from the public record as to how he has been able to hoodwink the public about how dire the financial situation of BAR is. It will be an eyeopener if the site has the courage to run it...

        Joe Zias www.joezias.com
        Anthropology/Paleopathology

        Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
        Jerusalem, Israel

        What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

        archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

        On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

        > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the characterization in the article.

        > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=global-home

        > Eliot Braun, Ph D

        +++++++

        Jim West, ThD

      • Joe Zias
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 16, 2010
          Here is a short item taken from the public record on the non-prophet. Note 1999 when BAR grossed over 5.5 million dollars and gave back to the world of archaeology in terms of grants but $4,000 dollars. Having once come from the world of accounting and having my mid-life crisis at age 23, we used to call this 'creative accounting'

          Table 1              Biblical Archaeology Society
           Nonprofit public charity 501 (c) (3)

          Financial data currently available from the IRS (www.guidestar.com) (I
          would like to remind readers that nothing here is illegal in terms of nonprofit organizations)

          Total *As a % of Private total
          Year  Revenue    Grants  CEO Salary  Contributions  revenue

          1998  5,584,868 7,300 (6)  0.001   50,572        205,000
          1999   5,648,850   4,000 (5)  0.0007  186,521        162,000
          2000  5,991,137  150,390(20) 2.5      222,572       215,000
          2001   5,208,154   96,350(17)  1.8     243,579        198,000
          2002   4,537,481    8,500(12)  0.001    205,639        150,000
          2003 4,644,424    7,109 (8)  0.001     63,537        162,000

          Total 31,614,914  273,649      0.008   972,420      1,092,000

          [Ed. note: To view this chart properly you may have to select "Use Fixed Width Font" from the options available to the right of the message text in your browser window. If the "Use Fixed Width Font" option is not visible, click on "Show Message Option" in the space to the right of the message text. RMW]

          Joe Zias www.joezias.com
          Anthropology/Paleopathology

          Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
          Jerusalem, Israel

          It appears to be factually accurate, and his controversial status, incompetence, and inappropriate influence are hinted at. But letters to the editor of the New York Times are welcome and might even be published.

          Jersey City

        • Brian Roberts
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 24, 2010
            Oh, Jim.

            But if, as has been suggested by some here, "biblical archaeology" is a dead discipline, why begrudge Shanks being called its icon?

            R. Brian Roberts
            Charlotte, NC

            What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

            archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

            On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

            > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the characterization in the article.

            > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=global-home

            > Eliot Braun, Ph D

            +++++++

            Jim West, ThD

          • Joe Zias
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
              If one looks at the amt of money that BAR/Shanks gives back to the profession upon which it was found, the icon becomes more of an I con. In those gravy yrs of the James Ossuary in which BAR grossed nearly 6,000,000 that's dollars for that year, he gave back but 4,000 in grants to the profession. Less than 1/10 of 1% , not back for a non-profit. Source of info. guidestar. More on this later.

              Joe

              From: Jim West <jwest@...>

              To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com

              Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

              What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

              archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

              On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

              > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the characterization in the article.

              > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=global-home

              > Eliot Braun, Ph D

              +++++++

              Jim West, ThD

            • Lisbeth S. Fried
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
                Nice title Joe.

                I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years.

                From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit.

                Liz Fried

                _____

                From: Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...
                <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> >
                To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Thursday, June 24, 2010, 2:41 PM

                --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Jim West <jwest@...

                From: Jim West <jwest@... <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> >

                To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

                Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

                What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

                archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

                On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

                > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical
                archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the
                characterization in the article.

                http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=glo
                bal-home

                > Eliot Braun, Ph D

                +++++++

                Jim West, ThD

              • David Hall
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
                  From what I gathered from PaleoJudaica online; Hershel Shanks earned a $162,000 salary during 2003.  Some lawyers earned seven figure salaries.  Hershel Shanks was licensed to practice law before he started Biblical Archaeology Review.  I understand some of Joe Zias' ethical objections to BAR's alleged publication of forged artifacts.  BAR is an organization devoted to publication, not necessarily a source of large grants for scholarly research.  The gross receipts of an organization are not the same as what is paid in salaries to the executive officers.

                  The US judicial system prosecuted officers of charitable organization charged with misuse of funds or fraud.  United Way of Alexandria, Virginia is the largest charity in the US paying over $450,000 per year to their CEO.  Twice United Way officers have been prosecuted for misuse of funds.

                  David Q. Hall
                  Falls Church, Virginia

                  I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years.

                  From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit.

                  Liz Fried

                  _____

                  From: Jim West <jwest@... <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> >

                  To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

                  What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

                  archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

                  On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

                  > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical
                  archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the
                  characterization in the article.

                  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=glo
                  bal-home

                  > Eliot Braun, Ph D

                  +++++++

                  Jim West, ThD

                • Joe Zias
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
                    BAR over the years has reaped enormous profits, in fact the avg. salary of a non-profit CEO in the US when this study was completed  was 86,000 whereas Shanks annual salary according to tax records was around 200,000 with another 60-67,000 paid to himself for use of the building. In fact, those one page ads for antiquities dealers, in color, were selling for 8,000 per page while many years the amount of money from BAS given to scholars totally, was less than the amt he received from a dealer for a one page ad ! When one looks at the amount of money given to scholars by BAR in terms of gross revenue and then compares it to the Archaeological Institute of America, the result is shocking. For every dollar from BAS given to scholars the figure from the AIA is 46 ! Both are non-profits. BAS financial record is a classic case of what is known in the profession
                    as 'creative accounting' . More of this highly profitable non-prophet will follow....

                    Joe Zias www.joezias.com
                    Anthropology/Paleopathology

                    Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
                    Jerusalem, Israel

                    I’d be curious tho what he has netted other years.

                    From what I understand the magazine does not usually make a profit.

                    Liz Fried

                    _____

                    From: Brian Roberts <r.brianroberts@...

                    <mailto:r.brianroberts%40yahoo.com> >

                    To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

                    From: Jim West <jwest@... <mailto:jwest%40highland.net> >

                    To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:01 PM

                    What you mean that he, in his own words, is an 'icon' of biblical

                    archaeology???? Who could quibble with that...

                    On 6/16/2010 8:10 AM, eliot braun wrote:

                    > This is a link to a NY Times article on the purveyor of biblical

                    archaeology. Perhaps not all on this list will agree with the

                    characterization in the article.

                    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/middleeast/17iht-letter.html?ref=glo

                    bal-home

                    > Eliot Braun, Ph D

                    +++++++

                    Jim West, ThD

                  • zmbq
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 27, 2010
                      I don't understand how Hershel Shank's financial situation has anything to do with the ancient near east. Is he making money 2,500 years ago? Is someone studying non-profit organizations of the iron age?

                      Who cares?

                      Itay Zandbank
                      Israel