Re: Question, Ramat Rahel

  • zmbq
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2010
      Well, usually people who pay hefty fines have enough money to pay them. And more often than not, they don't go bankrupt because of those fines. So actually, having paid a large fine is a positive indication for a good financial situation.

      Itay Zandbank
      Israel

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "frankclancy" <clancyfrank@...> wrote:

      > Dear Russell - Jehoiakim ruled 11 years according to the book of Kings. His son Jehoiachin ruled for 3 months. Usually, you are accurate about these things so your mind must be distracted for the moment. However, it is interesting that Daniel 1:1 indicates Jehoiakim ruled for just 3 years and the text describing his rule in the book of Kings says he was a loyal servant of Nebuchadnezzer for 3 years and then rebelled. So the regnal term of 11 years may be the work of redaction. Also, if Jehoiakim had to pay such a large fine, is it likely he had the money to build a new fancy palace?
      >
      > Frank Clancy
      > Waterloo, Ontario Canada
    • Yigal Levin
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2010
        The present excavator, Oded Lipschits of Tel Aviv University, does not think
        that Ramat Rahel was the palace of any of the kings of Judah. He sees it as
        the seat of the Assyrian, Babylonian and the Persian governors who
        controlled Judah, even while there was still a vassal king in Jerusalem,
        certainly after the city was destroyed. You can see the project website at
        http://www.tau.ac.il/~rmtrachl/index.html.

        Yigal Levin

        Bar-Ilan University

        _____

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups. <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com> com,

      • RUSSELLGMIRKIN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2010
          Yigal,

          Thanks for the comments clarifying the interpretation of the site held by
          Oded Lipschits. The Ramat Rahel website hinted in that direction (that the
          palace citadel of Stratum Va was not that of a Judean king). A passage
          from the website I quote below indicated that "A luxurious Assyrian palace
          was found in the debris that covered the citadel after its destruction by the
          Babylonians." Am I to infer that this Assyrian palace is the same one
          that previous excavators attributed to either Jehoiachin or his father
          Jehoiakim?

          Best regards,
          Russell Gmirkin

          From _http://www.tau.ac.il/~rmtrachl/archaeology%20of%20site.htm_
          (http://www.tau.ac.il/~rmtrachl/archaeology%20of%20site.htm) :

          "The royal citadel at Ramat Rahel is one of the most instructive examples
          of Israelite-Phoenician architecture in the biblical period. The
          construction of the casemate walls and the buildings of the citadel were of excellent
          quality, with smoothed and squared stones laid in well-fitted courses. The
          main gate, built of large, dressed stones, also shows fine workmanship.
          Several complete proto-Aeolic capitals were found in the ruins of the
          citadel; they once decorated the doorposts of the main gate and the entrances to
          the buildings.
          "Window balustrades consisting of a row of stone colonnettes, decorated
          with palmettes and topped with joined capitals in the proto-Aeolic style,
          were also found. They probably adorned the upper story of the buildings inside
          the citadel. These decorative architectural elements echo a verse in the
          book of Jeremiah, which describes the windows in the house of Jehoiakim,
          king of Judah: "and cut out windows for it, paneling it with cedar, and
          painting it with vermilion... " (Jeremiah 22:14).
          "A luxurious Assyrian palace was found in the debris that covered the
          citadel after its destruction by the Babylonians. One of the unique finds was a
          seal impression with the inscription to Eliaqim, steward of Yochin.
          Eliaqim is thought to have been an official of King Jehoiachin, king of Judah and
          son of King Jehoiakim."
          _http://www.tau.http://www.tau.http://www._

          Message 4 of 6 , May 14, 2010
            Hi.

            I was one on a tour at the site with one of the excavators (not Oded, someone who worked with him whose name eludes me). He, too, raised the possibility that the site was originally an Assyrian palace used to keep an eye on Jerusalem. He also suggested that it was indeed used by the Jeohiakim, which was at a time after the fall of the Assyrian empire.

            Both suggestions are reasonable (and non-exclusive), I don't know if there's any way of disproving one of them with the finds we have today.

            Itay Zandbank
            Israel