Re: Question, Ramat Rahel

  • frankclancy
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2010
      Dear Russell - Jehoiakim ruled 11 years according to the book of Kings. His son Jehoiachin ruled for 3 months. Usually, you are accurate about these things so your mind must be distracted for the moment. However, it is interesting that Daniel 1:1 indicates Jehoiakim ruled for just 3 years and the text describing his rule in the book of Kings says he was a loyal servant of Nebuchadnezzer for 3 years and then rebelled. So the regnal term of 11 years may be the work of redaction. Also, if Jehoiakim had to pay such a large fine, is it likely he had the money to build a new fancy palace?

      Frank Clancy
      Waterloo, Ontario Canada

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, RUSSELLGMIRKIN@... wrote:

      > Dear list,
      >
      > The royal palace in the citadel in Stratum Va of Ramat Rahel uncovered in
      > 1959-1964 was provisionally dated by the excavator Aharoni to the time of
      > Jehoiakim based on a comparison of window balustrades with proto-Aeolic
      > colonnettes with Jer. 22.14, which refers to construction of a royal palace with
      > cut windows. Is this likely, given that Jehoiakim only ruled three
      > months, the omission of palace location in Jer. 22, and the tenuous redactional
      > link between the poem and the preceding reference to Jehoiakim? I know
      > there have been ongoing excavations there. Do later excavators concur with
      > Aharoni?
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Russell Gmirkin
      >
      > Portland, OR

    • zmbq
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2010
        Well, usually people who pay hefty fines have enough money to pay them. And more often than not, they don't go bankrupt because of those fines. So actually, having paid a large fine is a positive indication for a good financial situation.

        Itay Zandbank
        Israel

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "frankclancy" <clancyfrank@...> wrote:

        > Dear Russell - Jehoiakim ruled 11 years according to the book of Kings. His son Jehoiachin ruled for 3 months. Usually, you are accurate about these things so your mind must be distracted for the moment. However, it is interesting that Daniel 1:1 indicates Jehoiakim ruled for just 3 years and the text describing his rule in the book of Kings says he was a loyal servant of Nebuchadnezzer for 3 years and then rebelled. So the regnal term of 11 years may be the work of redaction. Also, if Jehoiakim had to pay such a large fine, is it likely he had the money to build a new fancy palace?
        >
        > Frank Clancy
        > Waterloo, Ontario Canada
      • Yigal Levin
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2010
          The present excavator, Oded Lipschits of Tel Aviv University, does not think
          that Ramat Rahel was the palace of any of the kings of Judah. He sees it as
          the seat of the Assyrian, Babylonian and the Persian governors who
          controlled Judah, even while there was still a vassal king in Jerusalem,
          certainly after the city was destroyed. You can see the project website at
          http://www.tau.ac.il/~rmtrachl/index.html.

          Yigal Levin

          Bar-Ilan University

          _____

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups. <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com> com,

        • RUSSELLGMIRKIN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2010
            Yigal,

            Thanks for the comments clarifying the interpretation of the site held by
            Oded Lipschits. The Ramat Rahel website hinted in that direction (that the
            palace citadel of Stratum Va was not that of a Judean king). A passage
            from the website I quote below indicated that "A luxurious Assyrian palace
            was found in the debris that covered the citadel after its destruction by the
            Babylonians." Am I to infer that this Assyrian palace is the same one
            that previous excavators attributed to either Jehoiachin or his father
            Jehoiakim?

            Best regards,
            Russell Gmirkin

            From _http://www.tau.ac.il/~rmtrachl/archaeology%20of%20site.htm_
            (http://www.tau.ac.il/~rmtrachl/archaeology%20of%20site.htm) :

            "The royal citadel at Ramat Rahel is one of the most instructive examples
            of Israelite-Phoenician architecture in the biblical period. The
            construction of the casemate walls and the buildings of the citadel were of excellent
            quality, with smoothed and squared stones laid in well-fitted courses. The
            main gate, built of large, dressed stones, also shows fine workmanship.
            Several complete proto-Aeolic capitals were found in the ruins of the
            citadel; they once decorated the doorposts of the main gate and the entrances to
            the buildings.
            "Window balustrades consisting of a row of stone colonnettes, decorated
            with palmettes and topped with joined capitals in the proto-Aeolic style,
            were also found. They probably adorned the upper story of the buildings inside
            the citadel. These decorative architectural elements echo a verse in the
            book of Jeremiah, which describes the windows in the house of Jehoiakim,
            king of Judah: "and cut out windows for it, paneling it with cedar, and
            painting it with vermilion... " (Jeremiah 22:14).
            "A luxurious Assyrian palace was found in the debris that covered the
            citadel after its destruction by the Babylonians. One of the unique finds was a
            seal impression with the inscription to Eliaqim, steward of Yochin.
            Eliaqim is thought to have been an official of King Jehoiachin, king of Judah and
            son of King Jehoiakim."
            _http://www.tau.http://www.tau.http://www._

            Message 5 of 6 , May 14, 2010
              Hi.

              I was one on a tour at the site with one of the excavators (not Oded, someone who worked with him whose name eludes me). He, too, raised the possibility that the site was originally an Assyrian palace used to keep an eye on Jerusalem. He also suggested that it was indeed used by the Jeohiakim, which was at a time after the fall of the Assyrian empire.

              Both suggestions are reasonable (and non-exclusive), I don't know if there's any way of disproving one of them with the finds we have today.

              Itay Zandbank
              Israel