SV: [ANE-2] Re: Neanderthal

    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2010
      we are a long way from ANE-2 now, but the logic will say that if the European and Asiatic Home sapiens via DNA-analysis is shown to share some aspects of its DNA with the Neanderthals, the offspring must have been able to reproduce -- or there would not have been any traces left.

      Niels Peter Lemche
      Univ of Copenhagen

      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 2010
        Dear Alfredo,

        I have only just seen your message which for some reason found its way
        into my spam box. My question was rhetorical. I think it very unlikely
        that Hom Sap-Neanderthal offspring would be fertile. Therefore I am very
        suspicious of the claim that there the genetic analysis, or perhaps its
        interpretation, is correct. I do not see how we could carry Neanderthal
        genetic material today unless offspring were fertile.

        Yes indeed horses and donkeys, also bactrian and dromedary camels etc
        have infertile offspring.

        Yours,

        Geoff

        --
        Geoffrey SUMMERS
        Settlement Archaeology Graduate Program

        Office Tel: (90) 312 210 6213
        Home Tel/Fax: (90) 312 210 1485
        The Kerkenes Project Tel: (90) 312 210 6216
        http://www.kerkenes.metu.edu.tr