Re: Neanderthal

  • alf_rizza
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10 10:15 PM
      Dear Geoffrey, why do say that if Sapiens and Neanderthal interbred this surely implies that offspring of such union would be fertile? Is it not true that horses and donkey can interbreed, but the offspring is not fertile? Do we have other evidence rather than logical implication to assert that offspring of Sap Sap and Neanderthal were fertile? (I do not know anything about this topic...)

      All the best

      Alfredo R.

      Alfredo Rizza
      Vis. Sch. UCB - Dep. of Linguistics
      Message 2 of 4 , May 11 9:55 AM
        we are a long way from ANE-2 now, but the logic will say that if the European and Asiatic Home sapiens via DNA-analysis is shown to share some aspects of its DNA with the Neanderthals, the offspring must have been able to reproduce -- or there would not have been any traces left.

        Niels Peter Lemche
        Univ of Copenhagen

        Message 3 of 4 , May 26 7:30 AM
          Dear Alfredo,

          I have only just seen your message which for some reason found its way
          into my spam box. My question was rhetorical. I think it very unlikely
          that Hom Sap-Neanderthal offspring would be fertile. Therefore I am very
          suspicious of the claim that there the genetic analysis, or perhaps its
          interpretation, is correct. I do not see how we could carry Neanderthal
          genetic material today unless offspring were fertile.

          Yes indeed horses and donkeys, also bactrian and dromedary camels etc
          have infertile offspring.

          Yours,

          Geoff

          --
          Geoffrey SUMMERS
          Settlement Archaeology Graduate Program

          Office Tel: (90) 312 210 6213
          Home Tel/Fax: (90) 312 210 1485
          The Kerkenes Project Tel: (90) 312 210 6216
          http://www.kerkenes.metu.edu.tr