Neanderthal

  • Geoffrey Summers
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9 9:11 PM
      Hello from the Konya Plain.

      If, as recently reported, it is correct that Hom Sap and Neanderthal
      interbred, this surely implies that offspring of such a union would be
      fertile. Is that not surprising?

      As to the extinction of Neanderthal, it has long seemed to me that the
      absence of Late Paleolithic on the high Anatolian Plateau makes it very
      unlikely that the demise was caused by pressure from modern humans
      rather than climate.

      Best,

      Geoff
      --
      Geoffrey SUMMERS
      Settlement Archaeology Graduate Program

      Office Tel: (90) 312 210 6213
      Home Tel/Fax: (90) 312 210 1485
      The Kerkenes Project Tel: (90) 312 210 6216
      http://www.kerkenes.metu.edu.tr
    • alf_rizza
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10 10:15 PM
        Dear Geoffrey, why do say that if Sapiens and Neanderthal interbred this surely implies that offspring of such union would be fertile? Is it not true that horses and donkey can interbreed, but the offspring is not fertile? Do we have other evidence rather than logical implication to assert that offspring of Sap Sap and Neanderthal were fertile? (I do not know anything about this topic...)

        All the best

        Alfredo R.

        Alfredo Rizza
        Vis. Sch. UCB - Dep. of Linguistics
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11 9:55 AM
          we are a long way from ANE-2 now, but the logic will say that if the European and Asiatic Home sapiens via DNA-analysis is shown to share some aspects of its DNA with the Neanderthals, the offspring must have been able to reproduce -- or there would not have been any traces left.

          Niels Peter Lemche
          Univ of Copenhagen

          Message 4 of 4 , May 26 7:30 AM
            Dear Alfredo,

            I have only just seen your message which for some reason found its way
            into my spam box. My question was rhetorical. I think it very unlikely
            that Hom Sap-Neanderthal offspring would be fertile. Therefore I am very
            suspicious of the claim that there the genetic analysis, or perhaps its
            interpretation, is correct. I do not see how we could carry Neanderthal
            genetic material today unless offspring were fertile.

            Yes indeed horses and donkeys, also bactrian and dromedary camels etc
            have infertile offspring.

            Yours,

            Geoff