Re: [ANE-2] Census tax on salt

  • Beatrice Hopkinson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2010
      I havn't yet read the Rev.John's text referring to this census, but as I
      am
      interested in census information that mentions salt, and have published
      on the English Domesday census of 1086, am glad to learn of an earlier
      one. Particularly one that comes from a cuneiform text from Mesopotamia.
      I am working on evidence from the latter where it is particularly
      difficult to find early evidence of salt, and am wondering if anyone has
      come across working or owning land that is saline, or hopefully a
      reference to salt workers?

      Beatrice Hopkinson

      David Lorton

      >From the reign of Ptolemy III, we have a suriving papyrus recording the
      >number of persons subject to the tax on salt (a sort of head tax) in one
      >of the subdivisions of the Faiyum. From this information, and with the
      >addition of a few plausible working assumptions, it is possible to arrive
      >at a rough estimate of the population of Egypt at that time. To the best
      >of my knowledge, this is the only solid piece of evidence providing a
      >basis for at least an educated guess at the population/census of Egypt at
      >this or any other time. A brief but elucidative discussion can be found
      >in: Michel Chauveau, _Egypt in the Age of Cleopatra_ (Ithaca, NY: Cornell
      >University Press, 2000), pp. 55-56, with references to Papyrus Lille III
      >(otherwise called Papyrus Count), the Demotic-language source for this
      >information, along with comparable information from classical writers
      >(Diodorus Siculus, Theokritos, and Pliny the Elder).
      >
      >David Lorton
      >Baltimore, MD

      Beatrice Hopkinson,
      Hon. Secretary Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Society
      Board Member, Archaeological Institute of America
      President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust, U.K
      Affilliate, Cotsen institute of Archaeology, UCLA
      (beahopkinson@...)

      818 766 7780