Re: [ANE-2] Arpad question

  • RUSSELLGMIRKIN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2010
      Thank you Tory and (offline) Victor.

      The alleged destruction of Arpad after the siege of Tiglath-pileser in
      743-740 BCE, which I've read in three different secondary sources, appears to
      be an overstatement carelessly drawn from the Eponym Chronicle.

      [743/742] During the eponomy of Tiglath-pileser, the king of Assyria,
      there was a massacre among the Urarteans in Arpad.
      [742/741] During the eponomy of Nabû-da'inannil, the commander in chief,
      campaign against Arpad.
      [741/740] During the eponomy of Bêl-Harran-bêla-usur, the palace herald,
      campaign against the same; the city was taken after three years.

      I see also that Arpad was Hamath's later ally in the revolt under Ilu-ib'di
      against Sargon II in 720 BCE.

      Thanks again.

      Russell Gmirkin
      Portland, Oregon

      Dear Russell:
      The inscriptions do not say Arpad was destroyed in 743. They say a defeat
      of Urartu (its armed forces) was made "in Arpad" that year. See H. Tadmor's
      The Inscriptions of Tiglath-pileser III (Jerusalem, 1994), pp. 50-52; 232.
      Regards
      Tory Thorpe
      Tel Aviv, Israel