SV: [ANE-2] Necho and Nebuchadnezzar

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2010
      Dear Frank,

      A guess as good as any. The chronicle of Chaldean Kings has no information except that it was a major battle with heavy losses.

      Since the Bab army was already in Syria, when Nebuchadnezar took over command and moved towards Egypt, it is likely that the battle would have been in southern Palestine, or more likely somewhere between Gaza and the Delta.

      Eatsern edge of the Sinai: I wide concept, too open, but more likely along the main road from Gaza and towards Egypt, i.e. in northern Sinai.
      I guess that you have consulted the Wiseman chronicle

      Niels Peter Lemche

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2010
        Hi Frank

        From Herodotos 2,159 with reference to Necho

        "He attacked the Syrians by land and defeated them at Magdolos [the Egyptian border fortress of Migdol] afterwards taking Kadutis [Gaza] a large town in Syria".

        Regards
        Joe Baker ===========\
        Perth |
        Western Australia ===/