Help/advice wanted on 'Kharsag'

  • Doug Weller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22 1:07 AM
      First an apology. This is about a Wikipedia article, and if people want to
      reply offlist that's fine with me.

      An article has been created called 'Kharsag', a word used I believe 3
      times in George Edward Barton's 1918 "Miscellaneous Babylonian
      Inscriptions"
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kharsag

      Wikipedia has many weaknesses but it has good policies, and these
      require articles to be reliably sourced, 'reliably' in this context
      basically meaning academic sources. They also say 'no original
      research', so you can't construct an argument using different sources
      as you can in an essay or journal article, your sources need to
      explicitly make the argument.

      The article (in its current form) starts by claiming that
      > Kharsag; (?URSAG ????) (also transcribed as Khar-sag, Gar-sag,
      > Hur-sag, Kharsag-kurkura[1] and other variations) is a Sumerian word
      > or part of a Sumerian phrase noted as the mountain home of the
      > earliest mythological hero-gods and goddesses including Anu, Enlil,
      > Enki and Ninhursag.[1][2][3] Some variations of this word were used
      > to describe temples or houses dedicated to this location. It is
      > suggested to represent the location of a Sumerian creation story.

      I can find no reliable sources either linking these 'variations' or
      suggesting that they point to a specific location, described by the
      article's creator as the 'Sumerian Olympus'. The closest that's been
      found is from W E Warren's 'Babylonian Cosmology' here:
      http://books.google.com/books?id=CBvuAkHLtXoC&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=%22Kharsag%22+mountain+Sumerian&source=bl&ots=3-Th8ELF00&sig=ZKnPQ-ubGLbxLVwcwpMgGDHmrxY&hl=en&ei=jWzOS4ewPJCEswOfwdWvDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBIQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=%22Kharsag%22%20mountain%20Sumerian&f=false

      http://tinyurl.com/2acs7lg

      which does discuss a location.

      I'd appreciate some advice as to whether these words are considered to
      all point to one location, and/or whether this Sumerian Olympus is
      actually something I can read about.

      (The whole thing stems from a oil geologist who after retirement read
      Barton and from Barton wove a whole fantasy about some 'Kharsag Epics'
      and 'The Shining Ones' -
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_O'Brien )
      But I don't mind fringe stuff so long as it's labeled as fringe, this
      'Kharsag' article is passing itself off as serious Sumerian mythology.

      Thanks
      Doug

      --
      Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
      Director and Moderator The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com